1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

They're narrower than my RM Williams which are a G fitting but I think this is why I find the EGs narrow. My feet are used to having that space to slip about.

Maybe both? I'm new to the "dress shoe" business (I'm a Chelsea boot guy), and thought the laces needed to bring the leather together so they touch, or did I read a wrong piece of information?

Like so:
    [​IMG]

2. kevinsvindland

kevinsvindland Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Pick up the Chelseas before they increase the prices further in 2019.

If you prefer a less pricy option, i like the Connaught from C&J. Good last, and overall a nice shoe.

But, "Once you've gone Green, you know what I mean."

3. TheForeigner

TheForeigner Senior Member

I do know what you mean — might just hit you up in Rådhuspassasjen then...

Too many times have I tried to save money opting for a cheaper alternative only to end up spending more because always buy what I really wanted after a while ‍♂️

4. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Cleverley sale happening next month in January. Anthony line is made by Edward Green.

5. KPDarb

KPDarb Distinguished Member

I can understand being used to extra space and then getting something more snug like a sleek blucher or oxford. Personally, I think putting too much importance on the facing gap is a mistake and the importance should be placed on fit. That said, you may benefit from a wider fit based on preference but i wouldn't let aesthetics alone influence your decision. If a shoe is too small you'll know. Those oxfords in the picture are a good fit but its certainly not a requirement for a shoe to exhibit such detail.

6. Purplelabel

Now that makes a lot of sense regarding the lacing. The shoes were pretty unworn when I bought them so maybe they're still breaking in? I'll wear them a bit more and see what happens. Many thanks for your assistance.

7. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Senior Member

Unless you work in a super conservative field like super hardcore law firms, finance in the City in London, or go to semi-formal events like the opera or a charity circuit, etc, it doesn’t matter if the quarters don’t touch.

If they feel good and your feet don’t cramp when you wear them, you’re fine.

8. Purplelabel

Nope! I’m all good then. Thanks again.

9. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

Having heard all the arguments for and against facings touching, I’d say your facings are a bridge too far. They distort the look of the shoe.

You appear to have a high instep and perhaps the shoe fits everywhere else but the instep. Look for a model with a higher instep.

I have the opposite problem (low instep) and when I lace up, the facings kiss in parallel which is equally as bad as having them too far apart. I look for lasts with a low instep or use a tongue pad to take up the extra room in the instep if I’m stuck with a particular shoe.

One trick is to look at bluchers. Oxfords aren’t very forgiving. Bluchers are more forgiving for folks with irregular instep.

I would say return the shoes if it’s an option.

Alan Bee

10. Purplelabel

Thanks for the detailed reply, Alan. Always appreciated.

Is there any way of making the facings closer together?

11. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

Simple answer, NO. Some would say as the shoe breaks in, the gap might close a little. But from what I see, it’s just a bridge too far.

Low instep can apply a tongue pad but if your instep is too high, nothing to do but bear the unsightly dreaded gap.

Alan Bee

12. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior Member

My first pair of loafers arrived earlier this week after a several week wait.. Initially I had some doubts between these and the Piccadilly and if to size up or not. I stuck to my regular size and they fit perfectly. Very happy with both choices..

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Monday. Edward Green Otter Suede Dover. Marcoliani Brown Argyles OTC. Epaulet Lightweight Khaki Twill Walt Trouser.

Edward Green Otter Suede Dovers - 2018-10-29 - 1.jpg

-Mike

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Hello! Anyone been to the EG factory lately? Curious about the prices. If I remember correctly they were like $600 for shoes and a bit more for boots.

Can anyone give me updates? Thanks!

15. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

dunno about exchange rates though I do know seconds about 33% RRP and firsts about 50% RRP