• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FinerThingsInLife

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Rosewood CC Galways (82 last). What is your favourite pant (color+Style) and to go with the Rosewood CC Galway? Got any pics? Let's see some inspiration...

Best from Canada,

- Paul

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Trying to fill a hole in the shoe rotation. Already have 2 pair of Chelseas in BLACK and DARK OAK. Looking for a third oxford in DARK OAK (or even BURNT PINE but darker than CHESTNUT), something less formal than the Chelseas. A full-brogued oxford.

I came up with the following: (i) Cadogan (Captoe) (ii) Asquith (Captoe) (iii) Inverness (Wingtip) (iv) Malvern (Wingtip)

Heres the current situation.

I am partial to the 82 last for shoes worn with suits. 202 too bulbous and 888 too sharp. I find the 82 to be a fine balance. Without going MTO (which I'd like to avoid), I can only find (at Edward Green Online Shop) the Inverness in 82 Last but in BURGUNDY ANTIQUE and the Asquith in DARK OAK but on the 888 Last.

What would be your approach if it came down to a choice between the two options above?

Thanks in advance

Alan Bee

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Trying to fill a hole in the shoe rotation. Already have 2 pair of Chelseas in BLACK and DARK OAK. Looking for a third oxford in DARK OAK (or even BURNT PINE but darker than CHESTNUT), something less formal than the Chelseas. A full-brogued oxford.

I came up with the following: (i) Cadogan (Captoe) (ii) Asquith (Captoe) (iii) Inverness (Wingtip) (iv) Malvern (Wingtip)

I am partial to the 82 last for shoes worn with suits. 202 too bulbous and 888 too sharp. I find the 82 to be a fine balance. Without going MTO (which I'd like to avoid), I can only find (at Edward Green Online Shop) the Inverness in 82 Last but in BURGUNDY ANTIQUE and the Asquith in DARK OAK but on the 888 Last.

What would be your approach if it came down to a choice between the two options above?

Thanks in advance

Alan Bee

Do you only wear Edward Green?

Why not go mto. My approach is unless I’m getting a ridiculously good deal, I’m spending way too much money to not get exactly what I want.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks in advance

Alan Bee

If I were in your situation I would go with the burgundy Inverness on the 82 last. It's on your preferred last and burgundy antique should be in your rotation anyway because it's awesome. The Asquith is a nice shoe but I don't prefer the 888 last.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you only wear Edward Green?

Why not go mto. My approach is unless I’m getting a ridiculously good deal, I’m spending way too much money to not get exactly what I want.

You make a good point @jonathanS But I don’t want to wait 6-9 months to fill this hole. Besides I live thousands of miles away from any EG retailer which could add months to the MTO process.

Yes, I only wear EG’s for the last 10 years at least. Got rid of everything else including my Lobbs. I keep a few C&J Handgrades acquired in my early days (2005) for rainy days

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were in your situation I would go with the burgundy Inverness on the 82 last. It's on your preferred last and burgundy antique should be in your rotation anyway because it's awesome. The Asquith is a nice shoe but I don't prefer the 888 last.
Thank you @CLTesquire

Is there any reason why you aren’t a fan of the 888? I have a few pair but for less formal shoes (derbies to be worn with jeans and casual trousers)

Alan Bee

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @CLTesquire

Is there any reason why you aren’t a fan of the 888? I have a few pair but for less formal shoes (derbies to be worn with jeans and casual trousers)

Alan Bee

It's simply a product of not loving chisel toe shoes as much as round toe shoes. I actually have the Inverness, in burgundy, on the 888. I like them but would trade them in a heartbeat for the same thing on the 82 last. Fit wise, I also find the instep on the 888 a bit lower, which isn't a good thing for me.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's simply a product of not loving chisel toe shoes as much as round toe shoes. I actually have the Inverness, in burgundy, on the 888. I like them but would trade them in a heartbeat for the same thing on the 82 last. Fit wise, I also find the instep on the 888 a bit lower, which isn't a good thing for me.

@CLTesquire Do you find the burgundy antique Inverness limiting in pairing with conservative suits? (Navy, Grays) etc

This is my biggest concern and why I stick with dark oak for business suits. The exception being very very formal occasions where the black Chelsea’s make a rare appearance.

Alan Bee

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CLTesquire Do you find the burgundy antique Inverness limiting in pairing with conservative suits? (Navy, Grays) etc

This is my biggest concern and why I stick with dark oak for business suits. The exception being very very formal occasions where the black Chelsea’s make a rare appearance.

Alan Bee

I don't have any hesitation wearing them with conservative suits. I personally love burgundy shoes with suits and I wear burgundy just as much as brown. I also have a Malvern on order in nightshade on the 82 last and plan to wear that with business suits as well. If you're worried about the broguing and its formality, do recall that the Inverness is a faux wingtip. It's quite sleek in person.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you gents feel about wearing the dark oak brogue oxfords like Cadogan or Malvern with jeans/chino and sweater/cardigan/shirt .. Is it too formal for such a casual look or it can pass just like any other derby shoe for you?

wristandfeet

Reaction score
How do you gents feel about wearing the dark oak brogue oxfords like Cadogan or Malvern with jeans/chino and sweater/cardigan/shirt .. Is it too formal for such a casual look or it can pass just like any other derby shoe for you?

Dovers would be better. :D

Or Galways.

Or Halifaxes.

IMG_5407.JPG

I second Dover with Denim. Here is my Mohagony Pin Grain Dover on 606 with faded raw denim. Love the mix of texture for a casual but thoughtful look.

supern0va

Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks in advance

Alan Bee

My 2c...

With navy or grey suits (or for that matter, trousers), nightshade antique works great. Burgundy is a little bit redder, so may be a bit harder with navy. I think you can get Nightshade in Fulham (double monk with split toe, 82 last). If you are prepared to deviate from EG, G&G's rioja antique is also excellent. MH71 is an excellent last... better than 888 or 890.

An alternative is to get a Dover (if you can wear 606). Currently, they have a burgundy or dark brown utah. Both are darker than the smooth calf versions and would give you the casual-ness (though may be too much).

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks in advance

Alan Bee
go with cadogan or beaulieu

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up today from very reasonably priced consignment. May never have been worn. I will be changing that...
20180922_192958.jpg
20180922_193024.jpg
20180922_193010.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads