Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Crat

Crat Senior member

I'm not trying to bash EG btw; I really like EG. Just think something went wrong with this pair's finishing.
    Water & leather don't go well together but even leather shoes should be able to handle a little rain without the finish coming off.

2. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I think this highlights the difference between the original Galway boot, which was designed as a water-resisting field boot, and the newer, non-64 last versions.

All of the Galways I posted earlier are field boots and more than fine in soaking wet conditions. They're veldtschoen boots though, so this is standard, and they are all made of waxy grained leather which seems to bear water better than the newer, dressier leathers found on the more elegant Galways now available...

3. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Crat,

I would show EG your photos and my photos below and see if EG has any leg to stand on - that's simply poor leather.
    Personally - I see no difference in their leather compared to CJ's Handgrade.

Also:
    All leather porous - the golden rule is to keep rain away from all types of leather - whether it's Vass/JL/SCrispin/C&J/EG...
    The sole alot more porous than the upper, with all the snow, salt and god knows what other chemical they use to clean
    the chewing gums and rubbish on the pavement - after several wear ALL shoes will turn into paper mache....unless you have
    rubber dainite sole.

BUT - the water drop you did on your EG is NOT right. It looks like you're turning the leather back to the state crust condition
    it arrived from the tannery wholesalers.

Look at my JL Chapel & Vass water test....Both came out better than the EG, But Vass was spotless the 10 minutes test, Lobb had a visible black stain
    which would disappear after 1 hour....And this limited test was only using Evian water to start with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

4. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Not entirely true - some leathers are designed specifically for all-weather use, i.e. a lot of grained leathers, gorse, older British leathers like Beva leather, other waxy leathers and the like. Getting these leathers wet won't ruin them, and they won't (or shouldn't!) need any special treatment to recover from a soaking.

I appreciate you were talking about dressier shoes and boots, but there's a distinction to be made here.

5. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Is grained leather will be able to withstand the poor weather? Can you give some examples of fool weather shoes with a top tier finish?

6. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Does this count? (not EG I mean)
    Grained calf on Brecons and Santonis. No salt or water stains (snowsealed prperly).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Those Chukka boots are nice, what brand are they? or are they bespoke?

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Looks awesome. Like the Shannon more than the Galways

9. Junior

Junior Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My pair is holding on fine...at least for now [​IMG]

10. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Brecons = Crockett & Johnes

I'm jealous, my pair are still somewhere on the way, seems like it will remains in the box till new season.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

To me, shoes are never fully broken in until they have been walked in while wet. (i.e. in the rain, getting the sole wet, etc.) That really gets them to mold to your feet. None of my better shoes have ever been worse for wear for having become wet. As long as I let them air dry, use shoe trees, use cream polish and little little wax now (and water proofing spray on suede) and then they look great for many, many years.

12. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Huh...really? Some time ago, I got caught in a downpour, my shoes got wet, started to make squelchy sounds with every step. Bubbles started to appear on the edges of the welt with every squishy step I took. I came home, took em off and put them down the garbage chute. They were FUCKED.

13. Junior

Junior Senior member

Ditch the loafers etc. shearling galways in july is win?

14. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Only if worn with thorn-proof tweed...

15. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

For sure a win [​IMG]
    But the french post is rocking, 4 weeks on the way is something different.