1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

The prices on the flickr are insanely low.

1 person likes this.
  2. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

These are wholesale prices, right? It looks like each style would need to be ordered in a minimum batch of six. I don't know what "consecutive" means in this context. Consecutive sizes?

I would be in for something in a UK12E.

3. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

how can we get those prices on flickr? What are the details???

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

I sense a great disturbance in the Force ... Like the sound of many wallets opening at once ... (Including mine!)

5. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

This would be spectacular if we can make it work (and if true). 6 isn't that many even if you had to order 6 in the same size/style. Size 10E - let's get some Dovers and westminsters in the mix.

6. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

I'd be down to get 3-5 pairs depending on what everyone wants
    10.5E or 10F

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  7. Zarium

Zarium Well-Known Member

Count me in, though I'm a tiny 7/7.5... [​IMG]

8. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

i'd likely take a couple @ least at those prices
    worth checking into even if it is too good to be true

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I am in for a couple of pairs at those prices. Size 9.5/10E

But these look like the prices that distributors pay. Their entire dealer network would mutiny if customers could get significant volume at factory direct prices

10. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

Agreed -- these prices are absurdly low, but realistic when you realize the standard 3x retail markup. If somehow, we can get EGs at these prices, it would be amazing. But like everything in life, when something looks too good to be true...

11. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Something stinks here. I am staying out of this.

12. Quantimil

Quantimil Well-Known Member

I have seen enough "Hustle" to know where this is going...

13. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Well-Known Member

hmmm....if its too good to be true, it probably is

14. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

The Leffot chap will be having a coronary at this minute.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I'd be careful. Those are not the wholesale prices I'm familiar with, and - as I understand it - getting a wholesale account at EG is not as easy as just "ordering multiple pairs" these days. They're working at full capacity and are selective about who they create wholesale accounts for.

I could be wrong, of course, and usually am, but caveat emptor.

16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

A "run" is at least 6 pairs in the same style, same leather/colour, same sole and same last, but they can be of different sizes

I would have presumed the wholesale prices to be slightly higher (maybe by GBP 25.00), so it is possible the list is a season or two old. Do not forget that the VAT of 20% will be added to all orders that go to anywhere within the European Union. Apart from that, the wholesale prices do not surprise me a great deal, a mark-up of 150% is very common in the higher end of fashion retailing.

I agree, EG (or anyone for that matter) will not set up a wholesale account for someone (without a track record) who wants to put the occasional order through.

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

This might not amount to the recent ATM heist here in NYC but if this EG order is not true, it is a more creative way of getting some $. As much as we bemoan PayPal fees, this is one area where the protection may prove useful (not sure if they cover overseas transactions).

At those prices, it would be easy enough to flip the other 5 pairs if you needed to get the same size really.

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

BS, not sure if this has been discussed, but is there any specific difference between the all brown soles vs. the soles with the black dye (besides obviously the black dye)? I've seen both used on RTW lines, with the all brown soles used on the HAF & double leather. Is it just aesthetics?

19. twinpeaks

twinpeaks Active Member

The SAs in the Jermyn St store told me some time ago that there is no diff except for the coloring and from experience I have no reason to doubt it

20. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I agree with much of what has been said in this thread previously. I believe the price list is likely from one or more seasons (or years) ago. Furthermore, I sincerely doubt the possibility of non-retail entities receiving what appear to be wholesale prices outside of a one-off seasonal "factory" sale.

That said, I would be interested in ordering several pairs at anything near these listed prices.

As an aside, Edward Green is my favorite shoe brand. But I have been reluctant as of late to order more than one or two pairs per year from U.S. retailers at full price, and when I do it is for MTO or Top Drawer. This is because there seems to be available ready to wear stock at compelling discount prices through a variety of sources at any given time, whether it is a major retailer disposing inventory (e.g. Ralph Lauren), an independent retailer running a sale, eBay sellers flipping perfectly legitimate stock at reduced prices, or EG itself running a factory sale.

I have not yet purchased a pair of ready to wear EG shoes at full retail price, and I have been wearing EGs for a decade. This is a very fragmented market where key retailers try to holdout for as long as possible to sell RTW inventory for full price.

P.S. - Have you guys observed many people purchasing EG shoes from Brooks Brothers? I wonder how long it will be before Brooks once again includes EGs as part of their regular sales...

Cheers.