1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

It was certainly not my intent to cause any discord. The point I was trying to make was that few if any of us have one pair...the more you hang around this thread the more you are exposed to the wonderful endless options of EG. Anyway welcome to the thread.

2. saurabh

saurabh Senior member

I misunderstood earlier and thanks for clarifying.
    I agree EG makes very high quality, comfortable shoes/boots and personally I would love to get a Shell Galway whenever that opportunity strikes.
    My experience with EG has been a hit or a miss.
    I purchased Galway 82 last 8.5 E (same size as G&G which I wear) and ended up returning due to sizing issues so that's why I didn't buy EG for a long time. Also, tried Galway 82 last 8 E Newmarket and that was too tight or it was welted too tight, had defects.
    Maybe it has something to do with the resin lasts and Newmarket could be on the older wooden last.

Finally few days ago, I tried the 202 last 8 E and that worked perfectly for me. I am still not sure about my EG sizing fully and hesitant many times to buy them.

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

202 tends to be wider than 82. I can wear 11E in both, but 11D is much better for me in 202. And 82E is remarkably close-fitting for RTW.

4. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

Does anyone know how often Westley Richards restocks their rosewood galways? I think I need an 11.5 in the F width and they're sold out. Will I be waiting months for that?

5. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

A couple more for my rotation. The first have been a bit of a Grail boot for me, I've wanted some for ages. Shannons in burnt pine, Edwardian and snuff suede on E606, and a pair of Portland in chestnut Utah.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

What in the world...That's the EXACT boot I had made up 9 months ago. Same hybrid pattern, lining, removed pull tab, colorways, last, etc... I haven't even worn mine yet. Now I'm tempted to check my basement to ensure they'll still there! Haha.

Well, uh, great taste nonetheless!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

The only difference is a small tab on mine underneath the laces. They even have toe taps fitted.

I got them from the factory shop, although I can't see anything wrong with them. If you ordered yours in UK8 (as these are) I'd say the pair you got were the second go they had at making them.

In any case, they look amazing on the 606 - better than the 82, and its a great choice of colours. The 606 last is a great fit for me too.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  8. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Ah, the factory seconds sale, that makes sense. Yes, same size and everything. It's comforting to know how seriously QC and MTO's in general are taken.

Enjoy your new additions!

9. canon5dfan

canon5dfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First day wearing them out. A little apprehensive but shoes are meant to be worn :D

1 person likes this.
  10. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

lol...us shoe freaks are a hilarious lot aren't we?

11. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

No theyre not!

12. canon5dfan

canon5dfan Well-Known Member

Lol... the part of me that wants to just put this boot in a case agrees

13. JayDotz

JayDotz Senior member

My latest acquisition! Edwardian/Almond CC on 202.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After finally telling @tifosi that I wanted to buy the galways he had listed in the classifieds we figured out we lived about ten minutes away from each other.

It was a pretty amusing scene. We met in a Starbucks parking lot. He was wearing some killer galways, I had on my ironside indys. After buying the boots we stood in a snow storm talking shoes for about 45 minutes. I found it to be a hilarious way to spend my lunch break during work. He was super cool and it was nice to meet someone in person I could discuss $1000 shoes and not feel crazy!

6 people like this.
  14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

the new resin lasts messed up sizing for many (not all). I also hesitate because this sizing is all over the place - as is the fit and measurements.

15. laufer

laufer Senior member

You might want to try 82 last size 8 in F width, it may work for you. I had the same problem with 82/888 last, they were too long in my regular width and length, a half size down was too short but half a size down and up in width works for me.

16. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Agree with you. Hard to get F widths stock stateside, unless you know a source!

17. saurabh

saurabh Senior member

Thanks for your suggestion about trying 8F on the 82 last and will give that a try if some retailer is carrying in the US.

18. RobertE

RobertE Well-Known Member

just got a pair of Dovers in dark oak. wearing them today at work. walking all around on pretty hard floors at the lab all day, they have great support and great cushioning! I like my Carminas, but these are a step up! super!

got from gentlemens footwear.

best regards,

bob

19. tonicab

tonicab Well-Known Member

I have 9UK E in 184 (a bit tight), 202, 606 and 890.

82 9UK E is a bit big for me, but I think a 8,5UK F is a risk if you don't try before.

20. laufer

laufer Senior member

Yes risk indeed but in my case it was calculated risk as I have tried going down a half size and the shoes were too short while regular size was too long so F width gives a little bit of width and length. I am not the only one with this problem @Murlsquirl also has issue with 82 last.