Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

Sweet!
    Are these on single or HA/F soles? And what is the color called? Olive Green?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Dropped by the Leffot store today in NYC originally intending to get some Alfred Sargent double monks, but the last didn't fit me very well, unfortunately.

Fortunately, however, I fell in love with the EG Westminster. I got sized at 9/9.5E and I'm looking to purchase the pair online from a UK site, as it's significantly cheaper that way.

Do you gents have any recommended online retailers in the UK? Should I stick to an American reseller?

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You should buy them from Leffot. You used their time, service, etc. They earned their markup.

Now that you know what size/last fits you can order online for your second pair.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Good point, and taken.

I normally wouldn't spring for such expensive shoes, and I understand the pay-to-play mentality probably applies here, but I'm only comfortable spending this kind of money this one time because of some cash I received for Christmas... so I would really, really hope to save a couple hundred by ordering from somewhere else.. but if that's a very distasteful thing to do I understand.

Any other opinions?

6. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

I'm with Gdot on this one. It must be so frustrating for any retailer in this situation.

I can fully understand why you'd want to save a few quid, but look at it this way: if you were to have any issues with the shoes you could deal with the retailer instead of the maker, which could save you cash in the long run.

Also, it never hurts to build a relationship with a retailer as you don't yet know how moveable that mark-up might be in the future...

7. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I'm mixed. You went to purchase something else that did not fit and happened to try something else. So, it's somewhat different than just going in to try on something with the sole purpose to take your business elsewhere.

Steven is great, so if you can afford it, I would support Leffot.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to sleep on this one and decide whether these shoes are worth the Leffot retail price to me.

On a slightly different note, I was surprised to see that the store had wooden floors. When customers are trying out these shoes that are often north of $1,000, are they not fully expected to walk around a little to gauge comfort and fit? The wooden floor would cause wear on the leather soles, no?

Maybe the pair that the gentleman (Steven? He was an older fellow; not sure if they have different people working different day's/hours) gave me to try on had already had wear marks on the soles, but I casually glanced at the soles on the EGs after having walked around a bit in them and there were a couple light scuffs.

Wouldn't it make much more sense to have carpeted floors to prevent wear, no matter how minimal?

Pardon my ignorance; I'm much more used to buying from Allen Edmonds and they have carpeted floors, as I'm sure most of you gents know.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

completely true - and something a price can't be put on

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

I've hung out at Leffot a few times (even tho they don't carry shoes in my size) and Steven never once even remotely said anything to me about making a purchase. Good dude.

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I appreciate the wooden floor. It's much better than carpet. You get closer to reality feel of what the shoes would feel under closer to normal conditions. I work in NY and hardly am I ever on carpet.

12. felixkcma

felixkcma Member

13. felixkcma

felixkcma Member

They are half soles. The colour is call Olive Green Antique.:slayer:

14. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

they do rock

15. felixkcma

felixkcma Member

Thanks! Looking forward to step on them!