• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On RLPL EG shoes, is the width listed the American or English width?

For instance, on a pair of rebranded shoes with a size listed as 10.5/11 D, is the D an American D width or a English D (more like an American C)?

Thanks!

AHS

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We already know the other "horrid" shoes are flawed. Sending a flawed pair of shoes to an SF member for review somehow feels unfair to Edward Green.

If we are going to "bench test" a supplier, well then we should bring to the task some measure of fair play, at least.

Why don't we place a brand new order through an SF approved retailer, like "Leaves" perhaps, or any of the other retailers. We could closely monitor the entire process, from selection, specification, pricing, communication with the supplier, everything, right through to accepting delivery and reviewing the product, which would need to be monitored objectively.

Odds are good that Edward Green would, in all likelihood, exonerate themselves, I would have to accept the embarrassment of defeat and a charity organization would receive new shoes or a cash equivalent, everyone wins, including the SF community, be they EG enthusiasts or not.

Although I do rarely purchase their product, of course I have no objection to purchasing a pair of their shoes or boots, so long as they don't insult my intelligence by palming off sub standard work as superior quality, or, "lasted trees" which are not actually lasted. I have owned Galways before, and no, I don't think a new pair of Galways is such a bad idea.

It would be fun doing a few MTO and Top Drawers, whether the purchase is successful or not, who cares? It is simply an innocent wager and an opportunity for a good supplier to show us exactly what stuff they really are made of.

Unless of course the exercise makes us all nervous, in which case I will move quietly along and reminisce about the good old days, like how it used to be 20 years ago.

I might start a new thread for the exercise, but I would first need to find an EG enthusiast willing to act as an honest adjudicator.

Actually, starting a new thread is a great idea. Why not do that now? No need to wait. You will likely reach a wider audience as most readers of this thread are already EG fans.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Depends on the factory really...if you think about what separates a good shoe from a bad one it's only attention to detail (finishing capabilities, quality of craftsmanship etc.) and leather quality. So any factory can get any leather so long as they are willing to buy it, so that just leaves the craftsmanship of the workers and whether or not they can do hand work. For example, Cheaney can do quite a varying level of shoe, something that I believe to be of quite low quality all the way up to their new Imperial collection which I find to be near a C&J handgrade and obviously everything in between......And then to top it off, it will depend on who is doing quality control. So you could find that a brand could have their shoes done by a factory that otherwise peddles garbage but makes them create a quality product based on all of their specifications..... I also find that Italian factories tend to be a bit more varying, where they will create and sell garbage for the sake of money but could also make a very nice shoe if they tried....English factories I believe are a bit more strict in what they will produce.... I hope that this answered your question...

Thanks, J. That's been my understanding of general garment manufacturing as well, which is why I tend to not put too much stock into information about where something may have been made. Though, some of the "rebadged" shoes stores sell sometimes do seem to be identical to the original models ...

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He left to start Zonkey. Their stuff might not be to people's taste on this forum, but they're really nice (some even quite conservative) when you see them in person.

Mr Car is his cousin btw., personally Rollig was alwys very casual and easygoing, he has more himing shoes than SCs actually and Zonkey Boot seems to be a bit more fullfilling on a personal level.
Many Zonkey Boots boots resemble the the more casual SC boots, the model (forgot the number) that hasnt any machine stitch at all is almost idenditc, they are all rather high end casual shoes than dress shoes.
Going to EG in Jermyn St to pick up a resole now btw., will do some quality control!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not to turn this into a Zonkey thread, but Alexandra told me that they're coming out with some new boots after Pitti. Might be worth checking back in February for those interested.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I need some sizing help. I'm a TTS US9D. I fit alright in my US9D AE Jefferson (5 last).

What should I be getting for the EG 202 last? 8.5/9E or 8/8.5E?

I am a reliable US9D. I have ordered a pair of Chelseas in 8.5E/9D.

Will have them tomorrow and I'll then edit this post to reflect how they fit.

I hate returning shoes....and at the end of the day I'd rather have shoes that are a tad looser (can wear with insole) that painfully tight (a constant reminder of poor judgement).

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually... TTS US9D here. 8.5/9E is too big for me on the 202 last (and an 8/8.5E fits me best on the 888) so I'm either an 8/8.5D or 8/8.5E on the 202.

No right or wrong answer here.

We all have different feet, and the poster should order two sizes if he is able (or try them on in-store)..

I know of very few people who consistently size down a full size from US-TTS when buying EG. JL or C&J? Yes (full size). But EG? No (1/2 size). But at the end of the day just get what works no matter the size .....

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On RLPL EG shoes, is the width listed the American or English width?
For instance, on a pair of rebranded shoes with a size listed as 10.5/11 D, is the D an American D width or a English D (more like an American C)?
Thanks!
AHS

It is an English D. I have confirmed this with EG, and I have a pair with "D" width.

Junior

Reaction score
X-post from shoe damage report & shoe p0rn central

felixkcma

Reaction score
Just got this from the postman! My very first EG from Leathersoul.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads