1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

The 64 last is very comfortable and really looks very nice on , I do not own any C&J or G&G so cannot comment on the fit but all I know is that you cannot go wrong with a pair of Galway boots!

2. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Why is that? On our MTO Galways through Leaves I requested a fully lined shaft and EG refused.

3. Balmorals

Balmorals Active Member

That's what I heard (EG declining to fully line the shaft) but initially I never really thought it a major issue until I went to Citi Shoes and saw their Galway on display. The shaft lining was just a leather strip on the top and although it kept that section sturdy, the ankle area looked like it needed more support. I understand without the lining it would make the boot more comfortable but I guess my preference is a boot with a full lining.

4. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Hmmm, interesting. That makes sense. Hopefully they still look good whenever they arrive.

5. Balmorals

Balmorals Active Member

It's EG, I'm sure it'll be awesome! :slayer:

6. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Not sure why they won't do it these days, but historically most veldtschoen boots are unlined in the leg, possibly because they've traditionally been built with thick, waxy leather and lining the boot leg would be overkill.

The original Galway was made of zug grain, which is one of the hardiest leathers you'll ever find. I've a pair of WW2 Lotus veldt boots made of zug that are still entirely fit for purpose and have been getting a lot of wear over the past few days! EG sometimes refer to it as 'heather gorse'.

C&J's Snowdon veldt boot also has an unlined leg. The only examples I can think of that have lined legs are Sargent's Selkirk (and Kelso variant) and Cheaney's Pennine boot, both of which are pretty bulletproof and couldn't even masquerade as a vaguely dressy boot..

7. Balmorals

Balmorals Active Member

^ Interesting historical info!

8. felixkcma

felixkcma Member

First day with my Green Green DOVER! :slayer:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

The original Galway was made of zug grain, which is one of the hardiest leathers you'll ever find. I've a pair of WW2 Lotus veldt boots made of zug that are still entirely fit for purpose and have been getting a lot of wear over the past few days! EG sometimes refer to it as 'heather gorse'. Heather Gorse [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

^Very nice.

Zug grain on the Lotus boots mentioned above:

[​IMG]

11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Red & Gold (okay, maybe burgundy and acorn) Shannon is still possible! Go Niners!

12. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

NFL and shoe shining tonight (and tomorrow). [​IMG]

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Wow... yeah, you > me when it comes to EG.

14. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Could I see what's in the boxes??? :happy:

15. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

Promise a group shot tomorrow once I finish shining them up.

16. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

+100

17. JulianL

JulianL Well-Known Member

EG has just come onto my radar after a couple of previous forays into the high-end shoe market that have resulted in disappointment. I want to get to the point of commissioning a Top Drawer (TD) pair so I went into the Jermyn Street shop last week to try and determine my size but the result, although it felt right in the shop, was sufficiently surprising to me that I think that I'll go back and try again and maybe buy a pair of RTW so that I can have a month or so to convince myself that the sizing really is right before placing a TD order.

I'm normally a UK 7 and apparently my feet are actually 6.5 on the right and 7 on the left with my right foot slightly fatter than my left. (Apparently it's pretty normal for the foot on the dominant side to be slightly smaller and fatter than the other one.) I have quite narrow feet and a very low instep so the lacing on every single RTW that I've ever owned is always completely closed and even then the shoe is often still slightly loose.

One of my failed shoe experiments was a pair if G&G Grants on the TG73 last in a UK 7D (where E is the standard width). The G&Gs kill my little toes, especially on the left foot, and are pretty much unwearable after an hour or two. Many people say how snug EGs are, particularly the 888 last (which is my favourite), so I was really surprised to find that, after much trying on and a very patient shop assistant in the EG store, I came out with the recommendation that my size for the 888 last is UK 6.5D, i.e. even with staying with a narrow fitting I should size down half a size from my G&Gs (which I was wearing when I went into the shop). This is so counter to the impression that I'be been picking up from this thread that I'm hesitant to go straight to a TD order with this sizing.

I could play safe and go for a 7D. I would expect that to be more comfortable than my G&G grants because the TG73 last really is pointy, especially in the narrow D width. That's my biggest issue with the G&Gs, they're just too pointy and aggressive for my liking. I suspect that one reason is that the TG73 last doesn't play nicely with the narrower fitting and starts looking like a Deco last. I spent a lot of time in the shop with an EG 888 on one foot and my G&G TG73 on the other foot and the EG 888 is definitely much, much more pleasing to my eye for my foot shape.

What are the possible downsides if I go up to a 7D rather than a 6.5D? So long as the heels don't slip and it doesn't generally feel loose then I assume that the difference will be a bit more length in the toe box and around the forefoot. Will this mean more creasing? My dilemma is whether to play safe and go for the 7D or whether to stick with what did seem to be the perfect fit in the shop and go for a 6.5D.

One other question. Do EG do any RTW with Danite or similar soles? I didn't think to ask while I was in the store. If I get a RTW pair so that I can do an extended test on fit then I'd quite like to get a wet weather pair so that I continue to get good use out of them even after a few years when (if) I've built up a good TD collection so a non-leather sole would be useful, plus the fact that the sole and waist treatment is sufficiently different on EG TD that I wouldn't learn anything about that from owning a pair of EG RTW.

By the way, when I was in the shop last week they quoted me a 3 month waiting time for regular MTO and an 8 month waiting time (ouch!) for TD MTO. The price of TD in a standard leather was £1,250 (including UK VAT) which included the shoe trees.

- Julian

18. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

With MTO (even non TD) you can order different sized left and right shoes. If the size difference between your feet is bad enough, you might want to consider this.

EG has several RTW models with danite soles, and seem to add more and more each season. Really surprised by the 3 month waiting time for MTO. Sounds wildly optimistic. Most of my MTOs have taken over 9 months, although these purchases were not made at the Jermyn St. Store.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  19. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

+1. It used to be 3-4 months a couple years ago, but has been around 9 months recently. My last MTO I was told 8-9 months, however, I was inquiring about a new MTO recently and was told 5 months.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

agree with you both. average time for Jermyn St. MTO for me was 5-6 months. haven't ordered in at least a couple of years though