1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

According to EG the 888, 82 & 202 are all basically the same save the toe shape. I have shoes in all three lasts and can tell you that they all pretty much fit the same fit-wise. Where the difference, IMHO, comes in is how the different toe shapes behave when walking. Since the 888 is more squared at the toe it will bend in a more uniform manner whereas the rounded toe shapes will react slightly differently, add to that the way you walk. This can be illustrated by the vamp creases on all three of my shoes (will not post a pic).

Also, remember that SFers may deem the 888 as more narrow because the most offered discounted pairs came via US retailers and were made in D widths. For instance, My 202 & 82 lasted shoes are 12/12.5E whereas my 888 lasted pairs are 12.5/13D. YMMV

2. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

^ do not agree

UK9,5
    888 width E - snug
    202 width D - excellent fit
    [​IMG]

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

Another thing you are forgetting/overlooking is the materials used and the style of the shoe. That brogue on the 888 will fit more snugly than the chukka on the 202 due to the materials/construction. You can own 5 pairs of EG shoes on the same last and have them all fit differently. Mainly because of the materials and the style/cut.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

+1 I have a pair of dovers and a pair of chleseas both on 202 both 8.5 d but the dovers have a little more room in them.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

That's because the chelsea is a balmoral and the dover is a blutcher.

6. bespoken pa

So bals are usually tighter than blutchers? Is this across different manufactures as well? I thought perhaps the double sole on the Dover had something to do with it?

7. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I can size down .5 in 888 from 82, and 202. The 202 is the more roomier of the three. I have all three lasts and have had various widths in each.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Funny Ialways thought the 888/82 and the 202/606 were two separate families since the former were designed my Mr. Gaziano. However, when I received trees from recently purchased EGs, the ones that came with 82 is exactly the same as trees purchased for the 202 (also reps at EG at Jermyn St. say that their trees fit all the smart shoe lasts). I also tried out the 202 trees and they fit my 888/82 shoes fine (except obviously the trees do not fill up to the toe box). I can take pics if anyone cares.

So maybe the 888/82 and the 202/606 are more closely related than we think, at least in the vamp/waist area?

I stay pretty consistent with my 888, 82, and 33. Makes shopping easier. :D

It provides a different feel. A balmoral definitely has less room for error because the vamp and eyestays are stitched together whereas a derby has more flexibility. Also, from my experience, some designed (i.e., cap toe ) makes the toebox feel tighter.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1 as to last sentence. I size up 1/2 size and down 1 width in the 888.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

750 and 850

11. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

FYI, Tony Gaziano has already said that the 888 was developed from the 202 but with a longer and narrower toe box. Then the 82 was developed as a round toe version of the 888.

12. bespoken pa

Quick question where should the shoe crease on a pair of 202 Chelsea s? I've heard that anything on the cap or below means the shoe is too small but too far up indicates the shoe is too large. Ideally how far up should the crease occur. Thank You for the help.

13. Dib

Dib Senior member

Even a shoe that fits properly will crease differently on different people (depending on the way they walk, the way their foot flexes etc...).

The best way to determine whether a shoe fits properly is to look at how it fits your foot at the various appropriate places (heel, toes etc) rather than focussing on creasing.

14. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I feel there is a difference in the last but very slightly, It also depends on the type of socks I wear. My Galway boots on the 202 last I have a 8F but can only wear them with slightly thick boot socks otherwise my feet will be swimming! the Westminster I have in a 8.5 888 F last and they are fine with dress socks but the Galway boots I have in the 82 E last are fine with dress socks. I find that more then the shape of the last the fitting if it is an E or F makes a lot of difference for my feet but this may not be the same for everyone.

Not sure what has happened but over the years my feet have shrunk slightly from a 9 E to a 8 or 8.5 depending on the width if it is an E or F fitting!

15. meister

meister Senior member

Pretty much agree though 202 is the most comfortable.

16. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

17. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Love the look of Last 64.... a masculine. lets- go-out-and-get-fucked-up Last. Unlike the prissy Galway on 82. If I ever got a Galway, these would be it, sans shearling. Hell, I even love the medway sole.

18. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

It was snowing in London today luckily I had these on!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Finally saw a pair of Galways with the half-lined shafts... now I know why everyone wants them full-lined.

20. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

How do this last fit compare to other brands like G&G (GG06) and C&J (236 seams quite like)?