• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green "Alpha" Range

Bespoke 51

Reaction score
One of the sales staff in London mentioned this to me recently. This new range under development (and a year away), will be slim, sleek, and modern.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a cheaper or more expensive line? Or maybe similarly priced but trendier?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds odd to say the least. While I'd be all up for cheap Edward Greens - neither a budget range or a "trendy" line sit well with me with regards to the company image that Edward Green currently put across.

Will be interesting to see it unfold either way. You'll find me sitting on the fence....!

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I doubt they'd go cheaper as it would ruin their brand image.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slimmer, sleeker and more modern than the 888 and 82 lasts? Those are as slick as I like to go before heading into pointy-ville. Sounds no bueno to me.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Interesting. There is a real arms race brewing amongst the top British RTW makers.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Interesting. There is a real arms race brewing amongst the top British RTW makers.

As long as we, the patron, are the beneficiary, I'm all for it.
smile.gif

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Slimmer, sleeker and more modern than the 888 and 82 lasts? Those are as slick as I like to go before heading into pointy-ville. Sounds no bueno to me.
maybe they'll go blake stitched
uhoh.gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
maybe they'll go blake stitched
uhoh.gif

Why do people think there is something inherently wrong with blake stitched shoes? I used to care about Goodyear welted until I tried my first pair of Blake stitched 4 years ago and haven't had any regrets since. Now I frankly don't care what method is used.

If the reports of this new range are true, I would hope they are doing more chiseled lasts with heavier antiquing like berluti, santoni, bontoni, etc.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They need to do something other than "go downmarket+cheaper construction+trendier appearance."

I think they should do their oldest lasts on a non-burnished finish, i.e. no antiquing whatsoever. plain basic colors. basically, how they looked in 1910, off the shelf.

hence the alpha name

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Leffot yesterday and was told that EG is coming up with newer, sleeker lasts. Something to compete with the chisel toe from Cleverly / G&G and now Alfred Sargent would be good. EG was starting to look Alden-y.

Threadjack Is there a sale coming up, btw?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

yea quite sad init! i blaim the bespoke boys for getting into RTW ;-)

but i heard a while back that EG are looking to develop a newer sleeker more bespoke looking last

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Why do people think there is something inherently wrong with blake stitched shoes? I used to care about Goodyear welted until I tried my first pair of Blake stitched 4 years ago and haven't had any regrets since. Now I frankly don't care what method is used.
Blake stitches shoes cannot be resoled (without a LOT of effort). Blake/rapid and goodyear welted shoes can be resoled easily.
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
If the reports of this new range are true, I would hope they are doing more chiseled lasts with heavier antiquing like berluti, santoni, bontoni, etc.
I sincerely hope they don't do anything remotely close to this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads