• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward green / alan flusser models

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas how much these went for? I have heard $1395 but that seems awfully steep.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton,

Is your pair a standard EG model, or did Flusser commission some special models?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flusser has commissioned a special last (I believe it is the 707) which he says replicates the famous Peal shape that Brooks Brothers sold in the 1950s and 60s (also made by Edward Green). It is a "banana" shape: very straight on the inner edge, quite curved on the outer edge. The toe box is high, but not quite so high as a Budapest, and the toe is rounded yet asymetrical. There is really nothing else like them ready-made, at least not that I have seen.
I wonder how it differs from the 404, which EG bills as the "Transatlantic Peal shape" or something like that. From your description, it sounds similar.

Aside from the last, is there anything unusual about the shoes? Patterns, finishing, sole treatment, etc.?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the designs are pretty standard (plain monks, half brogues, etc.). Others are unique to the Flusser store, so far as I know. For instance, there is a dress slip-on that looks just like the shoe on p. 197 of Dressing the Man; I haven't seen that anywhere else. There is a loafer that looks just like the shoe on p. 196 (essentially a penny loafer with no slot in the vamp decoration). There is also another brogue slip-on with a very short vamp that I think is unique to the shop.
The shoe on p. 196 looks like EG's Buckingham model, and the one on p. 197 looks like EG's Atlee model:
DSC01150.JPG
I've never seen either one in person, though. I rather doubt that they're the most high-volume of EG's models. Regardless, I'll have to check them out the next time I'm in New York. The last alone would make it worthwhile, and the possibility of new and interesting models, leathers, and finishing is just icing on the cake. Thanks for the description.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not quite the same, though. On Flusser's version, the broguing is a little more pronounced; the toe medallion is different (more unusual, and nicer, in my opinion); there is no heel counter; and the coup-de-grace: there are little strips of leather coverning the elastic on the gussets. But I agree that it is quite similar. I had never seen that EG model.
That actually sounds a lot like one of Cleverley's signature shoes. I've never seen that EG model in person, either, but that's the beauty of the Japanese shoe Appreciation sites.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All the Cleverley side gusset shoes I've seen don't have the strips of leather on the gusset, and don't have that "point" on the apron.
Jun Kuwana's do:
overlook_05.jpg
Of course, given the fact that the toe medallion consists of his initials, it could easily be the case that he specified those details.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice shoes. Though why did he get burgundy?
Well, Jun apparently has two or three of everything, so he has to have at least some burgundy shoes. I'd prefer something a bit darker, but I don't mind burgundy. I usually would opt for a species of brown, but variety is the spice of life.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That actually sounds a lot like one of Cleverley's signature shoes.
This elasticated slip-on was old Mr Cleverley's favourite style. If he didn't invent it, at least he refined it and created numerous variations (one even with faux-laces). He believed it to be the shoe style to give the perfect fit.

For those with the current Cleverley catalogue on hand, they feature versions with the V-cut and without. Without: page 2, picture 1, 6, 52. With V-cut: picture 14, 15, 41, 45, 76. (I'm afraid, I don't have a scanner; so all of you who haven't got a copy, will have to contact Cleverley, unless someone with a scanner and a catalogue can add the pictures.) They all feature the leather strips.

Maybe T4phage can tell us, whether or not this style makes the ideal fitting shoe as he has at least one, maybe even more pairs of that side elasticated style.

dorian

Reaction score
EG has made an almost identical shoe for RLPL. In fact, I think at the London and New York stores they have them in crocodile - with strips on the gusset.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads