• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green 888 Sizing....

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I know this has been brought up quite a few times, but I'm just wanting to make sure. I'm wanting to pick up the EG Dark Oak Inverness in the 888 last. I would just like a few more opinions on sizing though. My foot on paper measures about 10.25" and 4" wide, so I measure out to about a true 8.5D, borderline E. In a normal last I'm always a D width, but everybody keeps talking about how narrow the 888 is. Can someone suggest if I should go with 8/8.5D or 8/8.5E? I'm under the assumption that they run pretty true to length so I believe I have the 8/8.5 locked in correctly.

Thanks in advance!

jonnyt

Reaction score
I'm 10.5E in John Lobb, Alfred Sargent, C&J and a few others but I'm a 10.5F in the Edward Green 888 last.
I also have a pair of Chelsea boots by EG that are E width (unknown last) which are very tight on me.
I think you're safe to size up one width.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't EG F=US E and EG E=US D?

tsasls

Reaction score
My foot measurements are same as yours. I take an 8.5/9D in an 888 side gusset and a monkstrap that's snug,but fits. My guess is an E fitting in the same size would be fine for a lace-up. The width of your foot requires you to go a 1/2 size up on the 888 last.

Geezer

Reaction score
You don't know it fits until you try it on.

Each manufacturer, and each last of a given m/f, fits differently for a given size. And each shoe is slightly different.

I own no 888s, though have tried a pair on. I own lots of 88s, the earlier rounder version, which fit my feet almost perfectly. (most 202s don't. some 82s do. 69s are iffy for me around the heel and depend on the individual shoe.)

If you are buying on the interwebz, you can not know if it fits until you try it.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME the perfect EG shoe fits snug at first and will conform to your feet.

My McKays size 12.5/13D fit larger than my Inverness of the same size/last. EG will tell you all of their lasts are the same (save the loafer lasts) except for the toe shape. I have found this to be generally true, but each shoe is made of leather and depending on the leather/cut can end up fitting differently.

glowell222

Reaction score
I am a TTS 11US D. I wear 10.5E on the 888 last. Still, as suggested earlier, you should try them on.

Reaction score
There is often confusion about EG widths. Their philosophy is that the shoe should be snug, snugger than most Americans are used to. The widths are the same. So a US D should take an EG D. The truth of this is obvious: the writing inside the shoe shows both lengths but only one width.

As was said above, the lasts are the same except for the toe box.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 89826
There is often confusion about EG widths. Their philosophy is that the shoe should be snug, snugger than most Americans are used to. So a US D should take an EG D. The truth of this is borne out by the fact that the writing inside the shoe shows both lengths but only one width.
As was said above, the lasts are the same except for the toe box.

Yes, an American D width is an EG D width. An American E is an EG E width.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
^^ That's not true. I wear 10/10.5 E on the 888 last (that's what's written within the "size oval" on the inside the shoe). They certainly do not fit wider than, say, the 10.5 D Peal & Co. shoes I have from Brooks Brothers.

Abhishek Jha

Reaction score
IMG_7338.JPG

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way that you can establish that any pair of shoes is suitable for you is to try them on. There is far more to your feet than length or width and of themselves those two measurements/impressions of the last will not help you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads