Edward Green - ‘Exceptional Factory Sale’

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bengal-stripe, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Well it's ridiculous. I could buy almost two pairs of Lobb's / C&J Handgrade from their factory shop without some sort of "Exceptional" factory sale for that price.

2. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Don't get too excited, just enquired and all shoes are £395. Why is it that EG think they can charge so much for second rates? If a product isn't first class, then neither should the price be IMHO. Lobb and C&J have it right, in knowing that in order to maintain their reputation they simply should not charge very much for shoes not finished to their high standard.

Wow really? That's just crazy. Oh well, they obviously get that.

3. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Don't get too excited, just enquired and all shoes are £395. Why is it that EG think they can charge so much for second rates? If a product isn't first class, then neither should the price be IMHO. Lobb and C&J have it right, in knowing that in order to maintain their reputation they simply should not charge very much for shoes not finished to their high standard.

EDITED.

395 pounds for imperfect shoes and 450 for perfect (as mentioned on the AAAC thread about this) don't seem like much less than retail.

Sigh.

perhaps you should tell C&J about its prices -- selling SUBS at its seasonal sales for 250 pounds or 300 or so euros seems like "very much" to me.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

EDITED.

395 pounds for imperfect shoes and 450 for perfect (as mentioned on the AAAC thread about this) don't seem like much less than retail.

Sigh.

perhaps you should tell C&J about its prices -- selling SUBS at its seasonal sales for 250 pounds or 300 or so euros seems like "very much" to me.

You have a point about the actual "Sales" in the shops, but for those who know about the real prices of the shoes in all of the factory shops in Northampton, it's a bit insulting to say the least.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Ah, wasn't thinking of the factory shops in Northampton as it's not so easy for us non-poms to get there...

Pax?

Anyway, I hope EG is doing OK. Portnoy, you better give them a cash infusion now that RLPL is down to ordering only dribs and drabs from them...

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Ah, wasn't thinking of the factory shops in Northampton as it's not so easy for us non-poms to get there...

Pax?

Anyway, I hope EG is doing OK. Portnoy, you better give them a cash infusion now that RLPL is down to ordering only dribs and drabs from them...

If portnoy can't make it, he can paypal me and I'll go in his place [​IMG]

7. fox81

fox81 Senior member

so did anyone go to the sale?

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I did. The staff are all wonderful women, who cared for my every need and were extremely kind and welcoming.

As for the 'exceptional' part, everything that was or at least would have been exceptional was cleared out by some pleb spiv within 10 minutes, he had purchased about 20-25 pairs, of different sizes, and upon closer inspection they were all the <£120 shoes. As I was simply looking at what appeared to be shoes on a rack, in my size a pair of Belgravia loafers for £90(!), I was told by him to get off the shoes as they were his, only then did I realise that the entire rack were his purchases.

Aside from this repulsive fellow, the good part was just meeting the staff and seeing what goes on behind the scenes. It didn't look as if too many shoes were being purchased all round, and many pairs were still available when I left after roughly forty five minutes.

9. fox81

fox81 Senior member

so much for personal shoppers only

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Keep an eye on Ebay. I'm sure they'll show up there...at a less exceptional price, this time.

11. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

so much for personal shoppers only

Exactly what I thought and I had trouble keeping comments to myself.

12. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Glad I was not there, otherwise I would have introduced my fist to his jaw. People like that ruin the shopping experience.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

In other news, I believe they are coming out with a women's collection.

14. btinl

btinl Senior member

Wow, this is unfortunate.

15. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

In other news, I believe they are coming out with a women's collection.

I've seen some women's pairs before. They were EG for Kurt Geiger. For all the people who hated the somewhat subtle red, blue, and green Berkeley models, these were even more hideous. They were not so subtle red, blue, and green patent leather Berkeley models. The leather was bad enough, but the thought of a woman wearing such a dowdy shoe was too much to handle. They were on sale at Harrods in January.