Education Choices

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Marc Voorhees, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Hi All,

Figured I would ask the collective for an opinion on an upcoming decision I may have to make.

Education wise,I have a

BA in Economics from Michigan State
    MA in Economics from NYU
    MS in Data Analytics from Southern New Hampshire University (about to graduate)

I have a very good job working for a large Pharma company who graciously paid for the MS Degree as part of a tuition reimbursement program. When I was at MSU and NYU I had originally planned on getting a PhD in Economics and teaching, but life sort of got in the way.

The company I currently work for will essentially pay for degrees until I have every letter in the alphabet after my name, which brings me to my question; "Where the hell do I go from here?"

I don't necessarily want to change fields or professions, but I would like to continue earning degrees, might as well take advantage of the company offerings for as long as possible eh? Here are some of the options I have looked into

Doctorate of Management from University of Maryland University College
    Phd Management from Walden
    Doctorate of Business Administration from North Central University
    a few others along this path

Does anyone have an opinion about Online PHD/Doctorate programs? Does anyone know any of the relative differences between a DM/PhD/DBA type degree? Any opinions or experiences about programs to avoid or perhaps try and get into ?

All in all, just looking for some guidance or thoughts from all of you.

Cheers

Marc

2. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

PhD is still the norm, DBA from a few schools like HBS counts, but in other situations it presumes a more practice-oriented doctorate. Haven't really heard about DM before.

Honestly, I don't see the point of an online PhD at all, so I suppose I'll keep my opinions to myself.