• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Educate me on wool pants.

Reaction score
I have some thoughts on the matter. I would prefer something lined, not too dressy but not too rugged that it would look out of place in a relaxed office environment.
  • Engineered Garments Mil Pants on Hejfina; this comes very close to my ideal; the loose fit has me on the fence
  • Woolrich Upland Pants; just a little less expensive than the EG pants, but perhaps over-engineered? Not sure I need the knees or inner thighs reinforced so much...
  • Filson whipcord or Mackinaw pants; these are around the same price as above; having never worn Filson pants, I have no idea how they will fit me; I suspect that I wouldn't be able to wear the Mackinaw pants indoors, so that leaves me with the whipcord jawns. At $160-ish (and cheaper on eBay), these looks like the ones that will land in my wardrobe.
  • J Crew officer trousers; also around $165, and the only option that I can hope to try on in-store without having to make a special trip.
What else should I be looking at? Please share your thoughts with me by posting in this thread. Warmly, DDML

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The upland pants are going to look weird in an office - the inner thigh reinforcement is more like ass reinforcement. see the back view (http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/WOOLRI...S/sts/sr_men80)

The J.Crew ones look like a very nice flannel wool. I'd go for those myself.

Have you looked around for EG's andover/cinch back trousers? The fit is very nice on them, not too skinny and not too loose.

Reaction score
I love the fit of the EG cinch back pants. I guess I should add that to my list, but I already have a pair, albeit in a different material, and I have a "no duplicate" clause in my wardrobe contract. I should probably make an exception.

JO3B

Reaction score
has anyone seen those office pants in person? the khaki versions construction seems less than pleasing imo.

i can't imagine the wool version to be anymore sufficient.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JO3B
has anyone seen those office pants in person? the khaki versions construction seems less than pleasing imo.
The officer chino's? I haven't had any problems with mine.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I own the EG mil pants from last year and by the look of it they're pretty similar from this season only mine has back pocket flaps. I went my true waist when I really should have sized down at least two. Luckily I had a good tailor who trimmed the waist and slimmed the legs a lot.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For men that do lots of rough work on the ground.

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that took my enquiry seriously.
I shall take a look at the Jah Cru Officer pants in-store, and go from there. May ultimately go for another pair of EG cinchbacks in wool.

:tips hat:

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright apologies for coming off as a thread crapper... do you want casual pants that can be a tad dressy? I usually like patterns, like herringbone, houndstooth ect though I do appreciate solid flannels.

How about scoring a gently use secondhand Ebay or thrift suit in your size with a herrringbone pattern that doesn't look awfully dated. The pants can meet your requirement and can be as slim a you choose to tailor them, and are usually lined. The jacket when appropriately fitted can be rocked with your jawns and you could swap out the button if you desire. Hell you don't even have to wear it as a suit and you have two very wearable pieces of clothing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads