1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Educate me on Alumo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ha. I thought of describing Triplo as "liquid metal". Fluid and smooth, but dense and unyielding. I don't think we disagree in the experience, just on whether we like it. Obviously, I do. I like that it is slick and smooth and also strong and sturdy.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. mactire

mactire Senior member

Anyone know where in the EU you can get cut lengths of Alumo at all btw?

1 person likes this.
  3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Definitely a preference thing. I think my tastes run relatively rustic and country. I don't mind the S-G shambray, and really like their voile-y not-chambray.

4. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I can check down in Napoli- there are 3 shops that might- all near Via Duomo.

Alumo - formerly known as Albrecht and Morgan I read, is it still a Swiss company?

I have 2 shirts from Nordstrom MTM made from Alumo. But I don't know which line they use.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

caccioppoli did as I was shown few rolls in the past

1 person likes this.
  6. AmericanGent

Caccioppoli in Napoli

1 person likes this.
  7. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

they may only have an edited selection. I was looking at particular white poplins.

1 person likes this.
  8. mactire

mactire Senior member

Cheers, I'll check them out.

9. AmericanGent

I'll be going down in the next few weeks- let me know if you have something particular in mind and I'll investigate for you.

1 person likes this.
  10. mactire

mactire Senior member

Cheers bud, they have a decent range of oxfords, so I'd like to know if they are in evidence at all.

11. aussieboy

aussieboy Well-Known Member

May I ask what the difference is between the following Soyella ranges:

-Arto
    -Zephir

Thanks

12. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Hi,

Just checked the 2015 Alumo book i just had sent last month and found Soyella ARTE:satisfied: but got any feeler or swatch of it on the book:embar: but got it on the price list.

About Soyella, there are two weights, the Zephir in 65 grams, a very soft Summer like voile and the normal Soyella of 90 grams, both in 170/2.

SOYELLA

t~~[​IMG]1~I
    100% SWISS COTTON, TWO PLY
    150cm, ca.90 g/m2, Ne 170/2- 170/2

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  13. aussieboy

aussieboy Well-Known Member

Thank you very much.

Sounds like the Zephir might be a bit too light weight for my liking…...

14. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Is a very special fabric and one of the softest but has a very limited use due to it´s inner character.

15. CrimsonWave

CrimsonWave Well-Known Member

Sarto is right. I am not familiar with the 2015 catalogue, but in previous catalogues that I have seen, Zephir Soyella was also available in other weights as well: 70, 75, 80, 85 and 95 gms. Personally I have found the latter three weights to be the most desirable for me, and they appear to me to be crease less easily than could be expected of a 170s. I agree that the 65 gms ones are a little too light; that said, I have found them to be very durable and comparatively more crease resistant than say the Grandi & Rubinelli Luna, which creases horribly. Whatever the weight, I've always found Zephir Soyella to be comfortable and cool to wear, which is very important for me because I live in a tropical country. It is noticeably cooler to wear than regular poplin 120s that I have had made up.

The only Soyella shirt that I have just creases too much and I can't wear it even though it is the softest and most luxurious cloth I have ever encountered.

1 person likes this.