• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Educate me me about suede shoes...

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
..because I just don't get them. To me, they look scruffy by design - I mean, "furry shoes" - really? I suppose the scruffy look is part of the charm but I just can't quite come around to them. I see them in well done wingtips that look more business than recreation, but can you really wear them with a suit? Also, don't they pick up and retain dirt at 10 times the normal rate?

How about some "this is how it's done" pics? I suspect there's a spark here, somewhere, that I'm missing...

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you need to look at good suede shoes it seems

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon

+1

I love suede shoes, but I do agree that they are more casual and I would only wear them with a suit in a casual environment. I have two pairs of EG--tobacco and mink and I have yet do decide which is my favorite.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love them especially in the darker tones...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you English?

It seems that suede shoes are loved by more Americans than English, and I think we English still look upon them as a casual country shoe to go with a tweed sports or paddock coat, whereas suedes seem much more at home in business formal outfits across the pond.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Eying a pair of blue AE Players...

Perfect shoe for the coming season!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People that wear suede with suits should be ashamed of themselves.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite shoes are suede shoes. There's no mystery to it, good quality suede is a beautiful material. They aren't nearly as hard to keep clean as one would think. I would absolutely wear a suede oxford with a suit to give it a casual vibe, and often do so. In fact, I'd sooner go with a suede oxford than a calfskin loafer (ugh) or monk strap. To each his own.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, today I was thinking about picking up a pair of suede shoes and a) was trying to decide between a couple that caught my eye:

Dior:
dior-homme-suede-loafer-10057901_304411_1000.jpg

and Lanvin:
300363_mrp_in_l.jpg

But then was wondering how to wear them...

Wow the spacing on this post does not work well!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Funny, today I was thinking about picking up a pair of suede shoes and a) was trying to decide between a couple that caught my eye:

Dior:
and Lanvin:

But then was wondering how to wear them...

Originally Posted by phoenixrecon

teacha.gif

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I have a pair that I absolutely love. They badly need a visit to the cobbler. They are brown split toed lace up Ferragamos with subtle leather piping bordering the inner apron. I love suede shoes. Suede shoes are the best. Even as these age and get shiny parts and minor scuffs they look more aristocratic. You gotta have at least one pair of suede shoes!

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't suede one of the lowest quality types of leathers, ranking just above bicast/fake leather? So why would you wear shoes made out of low quality leather?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. They're different things, and hard to compare. Cheap suede looks better than chemically corrected calf, and the good stuff - Green or Mantellassi, for instance - looks great.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get more complements on my AE suede shoes than any other pair I own.

Twotone

AE.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics