• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edge dressing in the UK

juniper

Reaction score
I can find online sources for edge dressing shipping from the US, but does anyone know where to get it in the UK? I'm after brown particularly, but black too. I've tried shoe shops and shoe repairers. Any ideas short of getting it shipped?

jjl5000

Reaction score
I have also looked for edge dressing and whilst there is a readily available supply in the US, there is little if anything available for the domestic UK market. Perhaps this tells us something about the average levels of TLC shoes get in the UK?

I ended up buying from the US but have since found a supplier (of sorts) in the UK.

http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/Edging_Ink.html

They are commercial suppliers so the quantity may be a little more than you need! Still £4 for a half litre won't break the bank.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also use coloured shoe cream to good effect too.

janne melkersson

Reaction score
I have not used the edge ink jjl5000 suggest but here is a link to the stuff I am using;

http://www.algeos.com/cgi-bin/sh0000...QA3075#aQA3075

Use a fine sandpaper to remove whats left of the old stain put the stain on let dry for ½ an hour and burnish it with a piece of cloth and finnish with Kiwi parade gloss or similar. Don't push to hard with the cloth since it will rub of the stain.

In the bespoke trade we are heating up the edge iron and melt hard wax on the edge and smooth it with the edge iron and a piece of cloth. This will protect the edge and make it to hold up longer.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
I have not used the edge ink jjl5000 suggest but here is a link to the stuff I am using;

http://www.algeos.com/cgi-bin/sh0000...QA3075#aQA3075

Use a fine sandpaper to remove whats left of the old stain put the stain on let dry for ½ an hour and burnish it with a piece of cloth and finnish with Kiwi parade gloss or similar. Don't push to hard with the cloth since it will rub of the stain.

In the bespoke trade we are heating up the edge iron and melt hard wax on the edge and smooth it with the edge iron and a piece of cloth. This will protect the edge and make it to hold up longer.

I have this also.

In fact I ordered a lot of stuff from these guys. I often add an additional leather half sole to my cheaper 'wet weather' leather soled shoes. This not only prelongs the life of the sole but helps keep my feet dry.

This is an old photo of a pair of loakes where I replaced the rubber top lift with a leather / metal combo. & added a leather half sole...

Loakesole.jpg

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good grief - edging ink is obviously a product that "should be prescribed by a qualified medical professional". The mind boggles!!!

Without prescription, get shoe cream (the pudding-like stuff that gets sold in glass jars) and apply it generously around the edge of the sole. Best application tool is your index finger. Let it dry some ten minutes. Take a coarse rag (like hessian), or, even better, a ball of steel wool and rub vigorously. This works the stuff into the edge and at the same time removes the excess. You'll end up with a beautifully burnished and shiny-smooth sole edge.

For soles with a natural (light) edge use the same procedure with "˜Dubbing' leather fat. That does not hide the natural texture of the sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads