• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edge Dressing (?) and Vintage Shell Cordovan!!!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of vintage Florsheim SC v-cleat longwings in pretty nice condition, the original heel is hardly even worn down much. Only problem, somebody tried to apply edge dressing to the soles and got a little (lot) sloppy with the stuff. I'm assuming that this was done in an attempt to make the soles look fresher for an ebay auction (why oh why?) so it wouldn't be very old in that case. Regardless, what do I do. I read a thread suggesting Afta, now called Guardsman, but does the same rule apply to Shell? Shell experts, please weigh in.

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've gotten edge dressing on my shell soles by accident, and couldn't get it off. I found nothing to be effective at removing it. Good luck!

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I recently bought a pair of vintage Florsheim SC v-cleat longwings in pretty nice condition, the original heel is hardly even worn down much. Only problem, somebody tried to apply edge dressing to the soles and got a little (lot) sloppy with the stuff. I'm assuming that this was done in an attempt to make the soles look fresher for an ebay auction (why oh why?) so it wouldn't be very old in that case. Regardless, what do I do. I read a thread suggesting Afta, now called Guardsman, but does the same rule apply to Shell? Shell experts, please weigh in.
021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

meh. i wouldnt worry about it. wear em.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That ain't comin' out, so make peace with it or resell the shoes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wish a got a dollar for each time I heard "picked up a pair of vintage Florsheim"

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Wish a got a dollar for each time I heard "picked up a pair of vintage Florsheim"

i think florsheims are a rite of passage for shoe guys. I really dont know anyone (self proclaimed shoe guys) that hasnt had a pair or two in their life.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think florsheims are a rite of passage for shoe guys. I really dont know anyone (self proclaimed shoe guys) that hasnt had a pair or two in their life.

As a child.

My father also wore them, or Johnston and Murphy. I SWORE I would never touch those old fuddy duddy shoes.

Imagine my chagrin now that they are back in style.

McBindle

Reaction score
I have a similar pair but in pebble grain tan. When I had topys applied the cobbler "touched up" the edge dressing with a dark brown/black edge dressing. I tried to remove it with acetone and it didn't make a bit of difference. I have found that edge dressing on these shoes makes them look clunkier than they already do and was determined to remove it.
Here is what worked for me. I took a fine grit sandpaper and was able to sand off the dressing leaving the natural leather grain visible. Then I applied some Saphir reno to mositurize the leather now that it was exposed. Then I added a few coats of Saphir wax - it seems to repel Pacific NW rain pretty well so far. The leather grain looks great and I have not noticed any problems.
Keep in mind that this was on the sole edges and I would not recommend ever taking sandpaper to any other part of shoe leather.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never knew it was impossible to get off. Now I know to be extra careful when applying mine..

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I never knew it was impossible to get off. Now I know to be extra careful when applying mine..

Before you apply edge dressing, tape the upper part with some low-tack masking tape.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

calling man of lint.

Just posted this thread to his "official" thread!:nodding:

Thanks for all the constructive help so far. Yes indeed, I think vintage Florsheim are required eventually. I have no problem with following in my father's footsteps though. In fact, my grandfather ordered (from a catalog!) shoes from Mason in Wisconsin because they were the only ones who fit him the way he liked. (This on a factory salary in N.C.) I kinda keep my eyes open for vintage Mason just as an homage, but that's another thread.

If nothing better is suggested I will probably just wear them as is (it is low enough down that it might go unnoticed) but I'd really like to get it off if I can.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been advised by several cobblers to never use edge dressing because of its potential damage to the uppers, and because it's difficult if not impossible to remove it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads