• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ede & Ravenscroft RTW

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izhitsa
I'd like to ask whether it is likely for me to catch the E & R sale if I'm going to be in London between 11 and 17 January?

Welcome to the forum Izhitsa.

The Ede & Ravenscroft sale has an online sale beginning 23 December and the shop sale begins 27 December across the chain - I'd presume from that you'd be likely to catch the tail end of it. Get in early and avoid the VAT rise, of course (I know it's only 2.5%, but still).

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Welcome to the forum Izhitsa.

The Ede & Ravenscroft sale has an online sale beginning 23 December and the shop sale begins 27 December across the chain - I'd presume from that you'd be likely to catch the tail end of it. Get in early and avoid the VAT rise, of course (I know it's only 2.5%, but still).

Thanks for the information! As for VAT -- me being a non EU-resident, I expect to obtain a refund.
smile.gif

Stanley Ley -- I think they used to have the place on Holborn, but I read somewhere on the Net that it is no longer the case.

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread rather than start a new one. Odd that Ede & Ravenscroft seem to fly under the radar; then again, Suit Supply (and Meermin) are getting all the attention - nothing wrong with either, as I really welcome Suit Supply's approach to reinvigorating the RTW market in the basic to mid tier suits. Unfortunately, after trying on in person a number of Suit Supply ranges, I find them too fashion forward and ill-fitting for my physique.

Popped into Ede & Ravenscroft today in Burlington Gardens, and spent a lovely hour plus chatting away with a very affable and knowledgeable Anglo-Indian gentlemen, who inquired as to my requirements and pulled out a number of 40R in various dark greys (sadly, no navys in 40R - except for pinstripe) from the sales selection, and immediately picked out a 40R in dark grey tropical wool 10.5oz, half-canvassed for £395.

The jacket fitted perfectly, although we both commented that the sleeves appeared a fraction short. It could have been due to my v-neck sweater I was wearing, but he felt happier (as did I) if we lengthened the sleeves by 3/4 of a cm. He mentioned that when he does bespoke, he always ends the sleeves at the wrist-bone - never longer. He also fitted my trousers, and we both suggested that the break could do with being shortened by another 1/4 inch from the first measurement. Tried the jacket on after the 2nd trouser pinning, and both of us were extremely happy.

I also tried a pair of dark grey flannel 12oz trousers £175. Again, good fit - although like the suit, will be better once my gym-work makes inroads on reducing my 啤酒肚 (beginnings of a beer belly, as my language partner refers to it). Measured and pinned the trousers to perfection, and am picking up both my suit and grey flannel trousers a week today.

We spent a lot of time chatting, as he was keen to get an idea of why I need the suit and the length of my commute, in order to advise suitable material in terms of durability and weight. We discovered that we both share the same commute (Heathrow Connect) - except in opposite directions (I'm going to Heathrow, he is coming from Hayes). He also was more than happy to provide me with a brief synopsis of the history of the company, the clientele, a little bit about the MTM and bespoke work that he does, and he provided advice and picked out a lovely sports coat that he thought would suit me, after I mentioned that I'm interested in looking for a sports coat in the next few weeks (after the September No Purchasing Club). He advised coming back in a few weeks when their Autumn / Winter collection was in stock, and comparing the one he picked out with the others in the range i.e. functional solids in navy, grey, etc.

It was a lovely light olive (in fact, olive probably isn't the right colour but my colour-wheel knoweldge is sub-par) with faint burgundy (again, my colour-wheel is sub-par) window-panes. Something I would never normally pick, but when I tried it on, it fitted wonderfully, although he mentioned that he thought the back needed cleaning because there was too much drape, and my indigo v-neck sweater picked out the faint burgundy window-panes. Similar colour to this jacket, but window-panes are more burgundy and fainter.

He also gave me a brief synopsis on the different types of material such as donegal, and invited me to pop in when he is next in, in 2 weeks time to introduce me to different fabrics and material, so I can get a feel for their texture, weight, construction, etc.

Needless to say, I think I'll be a returning customer. It's lovely to finally find a 'go to' place after spending lots of time visiting different places and trying on different suits.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
There's also another place around Holborn (or is it Fleet Street), that caters mainly to the law set. I've forgotten the name. A quick search here might turn something up.

Stanley Ley. Not a patch on E&R, from whom I have several OTR suits and jackets. E&R are very good value for money in sales.

EDIT: Sorry, posted this before reading your #7, but my assessment stands.

Last edited:

etsi3

Reaction score
I like E&R. I buy several things there during sales but some of the prices they had for the beginning of the sales and are still there on the website but all sold out seem like a bad form gimmick. No normal sale of a British shop would sell £395 jackets at £95 unless they are not worth even £95 Selling a couple at that price to create an unrepresentative appeal pissed me off

Giannis

Reaction score
I like E&R. I buy several things there during sales but some of the prices they had for the beginning of the sales and are still there on the website but all sold out seem like a bad form gimmick. No normal sale of a British shop would sell £395 jackets at £95 unless they are not worth even £95 Selling a couple at that price to create an unrepresentative appeal pissed me off
The one I ordered is still available in many sizes and in short, regular or long. Only a cashmere scarf at 25 pounds is sold out as also a jacket.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a handful of shirts and a pair of trousers in this sale. I think they have relatively low stock levels and are pretty new to the online sales business so whilst I agree it's frustrating a lot is sold out online, it's not outright surprising.

E&R stuff is good quality middle of the road stuff; very well priced in the sale and fairly priced normally (especially given they offer a discount card for frequent customers).

DrewMill

Reaction score
Hi, all! Reviving a very old thread here. I was curious how E&R RTW compared to Brooks Brothers. They seem to be in the same price range, and I was curious how E&R might be as a replacement for BB. Thanks in advance!

Quesjac

Reaction score
Hi, all! Reviving a very old thread here. I was curious how E&R RTW compared to Brooks Brothers. They seem to be in the same price range, and I was curious how E&R might be as a replacement for BB. Thanks in advance!

Ede is classic English stuff, decent quality RTW, lots of good classic items and usually a few more interesting pieces per season too. It's not really a replacement for BB, it's more a question of taste.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed with above. E&R is much more padded and structured than BB. Indeed, the shoulder padding was so stout that I had to do away with my E&R jacket because it simply wasn't the aesthetic that I am into. Good products, though.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Ede is classic English stuff, decent quality RTW, lots of good classic items and usually a few more interesting pieces per season too. It's not really a replacement for BB, it's more a question of taste.
Thanks so much for the insight!

DrewMill

Reaction score
Agreed with above. E&R is much more padded and structured than BB. Indeed, the shoulder padding was so stout that I had to do away with my E&R jacket because it simply wasn't the aesthetic that I am into. Good products, though.
Thanks for the help! Stout shoulders are definitely not my preference either.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stout is a tough term. It’s classically English, and structured for being so, but not overwhelmingly so. Indeed until B.B. started riding the Italian tailoring wave I seem to recall they had a (less, but noticeable) structured shoulder too.

I have found that aside from a slightly low armhole on their jackets, the cut of their tailoring shows their origins as a bespoke tailor.

Construction is in no way artisanal, but harkens to the abuse many English give their clothes so is well machine made. That compares favourably to the perpetually-discounted brands such as Roderick Charles.

As others have said, my primary concern is that the aesthetic is very different to B.B. If that doesn’t trouble you, I don’t think you will regret a purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads