• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ed hardy

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, a "tool" is a person with no brains.

Usually a tool is a muscle-head who is dating a hot girl and you can't figure out why she would be interested in such a Neanderthal instead of an enlightened guy like yourself....but sometimes it's just a person who does something totally stupid to get the attention and approval of other people without thinking through the actual value or consequences of their actions.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
what is a massive tool? i keep hearing people calling other people tools yet i don't know what it means. I just know it has something to do with trying to look cool but failing?

Found this definition so "massive tool" must be a bigger version.
laugh.gif

Tool (insult)
The word "tool" may be used as an insult, describing someone who is being used by an establishment willingly (as a sycophant), unwillingly (as one who blindly conforms), or as a "geek".

The term most commonly describes someone who is being manipulated by large corporations or governments. In this context, the term is thought to be a shortening of the phrase "tool of the system". The insult is used in Western counter-culture to describe strong proponents of those institutions, who seem to truly believe in what is thought of as a mass deception. Tool may also be used to refer to members of the counterculture who conform to a prefabricated concept of rebellious behavior (eg. tattoos, intentionally ripped clothing, long hair and earrings on males). In this sense, tool refers to a person who mindlessly buys into pop culture or subcultural trends (eg. Abercrombie & Fitch, poseur).

Usage
Possibly the first record use of the term "tool" in a derogatory manner comes from a labor reform resolution drafted by the Female Labor Reform Association in 1845. The group, which represented female textile workers in the Lowell, MA mills, was on strike as part of the ten-hour movement. After much falsification of worker testimony in the reports of a state-hired investigative committee, the association passed the following resolution:

"Resolved that the Female Labor Reform Association deeply deplore the lack of independence, honesty and humanity in the committee to whom were referred sundry petitions relative to the hours of labor.--especially in the chairman of that committee; and as he is merely a corporation machine, or tool, we will use our best endeavors to keep him in the 'city of spindles,' where he belongs, and not trouble Boston folks with him."
The resolution's language mocked Chairman William Schouler's distortions of the truth in order to preserve his own business interests in Lowell. The workers' resolution employs "tool" as a satirical pun, referencing their profession in order to criticize Schouler.

velobran

Reaction score
On Entourage last night, the Mayor of Beverly Hills was wearing a guady Ed Hardy shirt with a white hoodie when he went out on the town with Vince and the boys ... It was pretty stereotypical ... and I laughed MAO when I spotted the glittery T on him.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mavrikflorida
I love ed Hardy and all of the clothes they have, a lot of online stores have pretty good prices on the clothes and usually they will cut you personal deals if you contact them. One shop I really like is...

http://stores.mavrikonlinestore.com/StoreFront.bok

Really? I have no idea why you would like that shop?
spam[1].gif

scot

Reaction score
Originally EH was about taking tatoo art and putting it on a shirt. I have one of those, and it is one of my favorite shirts.

Then they started putting slogans on the shirts and added those godawful farmers ballcaps to the lineup. There are some hoodies I would get, and one tank top I would get for my girlfriend, but they passed from cool to kitch real quick.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone caught wearing that stuff should be garotted.

Sable

Reaction score
99% of the people ive seen wearing ed hardy look like HUGE tools

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
I know this type of clothing is for people who is into rock etc. But what age brand do Ed Hardy targets? I saw a few of their hoodies and man they have a lot of cartoons on it. I saw that some of it looks good but does it to you just look a bit childish?

I suggest you to ask Jinda. He can help you. Trust me.
laugh.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Ed Hardy is one of the greatest tattoo artists ever. His clothing line (which was started and owned by the same bozo that did Von Dutch) is a travesty.

and the Hardy line caters more to a hip hop crowd than anyone else (as did Von Dutch which was ironic as Kenneth Howard (VD) was well known for being a racist and probably wouldnt have liked the kind of folks wearing his name)

Funny enough could you imagine anyone into Hip Hop wearing either.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this thread, searching for, myself .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads