• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Economist subscription snafu

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WTF?

I just received a "Final Notice" from the Economist, saying my account is 5 months in arrears, blah blah blah. There's a $49.90 subscription charge, but...I never received any magazines. I was sent like 2 or 3 trial issues, and then didn't pay the subscription fee 'cause I didn't want the magazine.

If they continued sending it and they still wanted me to pay, I guess I'd do that, but I didn't get the mags.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
WTF?

I just received a "Final Notice" from the Economist, saying my account is 5 months in arrears, blah blah blah. There's a $49.90 subscription charge, but...I never received any magazines. I was sent like 2 or 3 trial issues, and then didn't pay the subscription fee 'cause I didn't want the magazine.

If they continued sending it and they still wanted me to pay, I guess I'd do that, but I didn't get the mags.

So call them. You think we work there or what?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
So call them. You think we work there or what?

Doesn't SF contain all of the knowledge in the world?
confused.gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I was just about to post the exact same response. I think people are using the forum as a crutch regarding EVERY little thing that comes up in their lives.

Jon.

But I REALLY needed to know how to pack my pocket squares.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
But I REALLY needed to know how to pack my pocket squares.

That at least (I can't believe I'm typing this) has to do with clothing. Conne's question however sounds lie that of a middle-school student who is slowly figuring out the ways of the world, but still unsure about certain things.

Jon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Guys, help me here...

wad or fold?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Guys, help me here...

wad or fold?

...hand lotion or baby oil?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, wait, I'm off topic...

Back on track now...

I had the same thing happen with the Houston Chronicle. I had a weekend subscription, they threw to me on weekdays. I opened the first two and every one after that stayed in the plastic. I ended up donating them - bushels and bushels of papers. They billed me. I pre-paid the first time, but now I called to cancel. "Yes Sir, of course."

The papers kept hitting my driveway. I kept donating them.

I called again to cancel.... This cycle continued three more times until months later they threatened to cancel my subscription, which is what I wanted in the first place. I never issued them a second check.

I wonder if WSJ will do the same. Their rates went up quite a bit.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
why are magazine and newspaper companies like this??

i have at our apt complex a small company that was distributing this thin ,crappy-info sample please subscribe newsletter delivered in a white plastic bag thrown out to everyone's front door every SINGLE DAY.

i called their number to tell them to stop delivering this to me. she kept saying do you want to subscribe or crap like that.

i hated picking these up from my front door and tossing them in the trash, and one day when i was away from home for a few days, i had a pile of them in front of my door and a whole mess of them in front of my neighbor's door which is now vacant (their door is right across from my door on the same loft.

i got so angry i called up the number again and threatened to clobber (i used that exact word) whoever comes to deliver these. she says, "are you threatening us, sir?" i said, "Yes, i am definitely threatening you and the guy who comes here to do this"
she says "do you want to say this to our president?"
"sure, let me speak to him. i will throttle him as well, if this junk keeps littering my walkway"
she pauses, and then tells me she will tell her manager.
next day, no more newsletters.
smile.gif
bigstar[1].gif

of course, i am a very peaceful guy, wouldnt hurt anyone or disrespect anyone, unless it is a newsletter blatantly disrespecting me.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
...hand lotion or baby oil?
I think its safest and easiest to clean up with a water-based lube such as KY Jelly.

Dry ass-crack, or moist ass-crack?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads