• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Economics of Luxury BBC article

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article

So other than out of misty-eyed sentimentalism, is there any point in sticking to traditional techniques when machines are often superior?

Thats one point that I feel needs expansion. I know people like hand sewn items, because it represent tradition and effort, but modern machinery makes things quick, clean, and realistically better. Even the suit by Sleater, made on old looms, while likely stunning, doesn't justify the cost, which he implies. Doesn't mean we cant appreciate the old ways, the introduction of modern methods is a good thing I would believe.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Machines can't do everything better. Consider, for example, sewing soccer balls.

Verniza

Reaction score
In an efficient world, we now turn to inefficiency for luxury knowing that not everybody can afford inefficiency.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In an efficient world, we now turn to inefficiency for luxury knowing that not everybody can afford inefficiency.

Time is expensive,very expensive..

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Time is expensive,very expensive..

Last edited:

Dempsy444

Reaction score
It's a good question. i guess i would say, posters are more efficient than paintings but I prefer paintings. For me suits are the same.
Also, I'm not sure machines can do everything better. For example, a well worked shoulder or a soft roll on the lapel may require hand work?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good article. I look forward to reading it.
Thanks for posting.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%