• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

eCigs / Vaping

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ProVari isn't worth the extra cost. Ended up getting a Sigelei V5 (15 watt), and an Hcigar Caravela clone mechanical mod. w00t!

Sigelei V5 in gunmetal finish:

Caravela clone:

Running both of these with Efest 18650 high drain 2500mah batteries.

Mech mods don't allow you to adjust voltage or wattage, it fires whats in the battery. Time to bust out with the resistance chart! Should I ever decide to build my own coils for sub ohm dripping, all I need is a cheap dripper, cotton, and some kanthal wire and I'm set.

Happy vaping all.

edit: Vaping on my mech today. Got some 1.2 ohm coils for the Kanger, with the 4.2V battery that's giving me around 14 Watts of power. Delicious. This definitely is pushing me towards rebuildable atomizers.

I think I'm going to pick up the Blu e-cigs with tobacco flavor, to start tapering off with an end goal of quitting (smoking). Stupid habit no matter how we take it.

Last edited:

rusty18

Reaction score
Hey man...forgive me if I missed an earlier post but I'd highly recommend skipping the blu/logic/njoy brands of the world (the ones you can buy at gas stations and such, essentially).
Though they are an ok starting point they gave me terrible headaches (China-made juice?) and after a bit I wanted the battery power and vapor available from a more substantial setup,
If you start with something like an ego blister pack you really can't go wrong. You'll, wat to upgrade if you have that type of personality, but it's easy to stick with one if you are mindful of maintenance and all that.

I love mbv juice as wel!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 to Rusty.

The gas station e-cigs suck. Open tank systems are head and shoulders above that crap.

Just got my Fasttech.com GP Paps clone in today in brass. They must have been hit with a cease and desist letter or lawsuit...my order took over 1 month to arrive and when I got it I noticed there is a ring cut around the bottom where the GP logo used to be LOL. Must have had to machine that logo off their stock before they sent it out.

Fine by me, I am not down with counterfeiting. Cloning those ridiculously overpriced mech mods (which are really nothing more than brass, stainless or copper flashlight tubes with a top cap and switch on bottom) is one thing, but infringing on the logos stamped on the legit mods is quite another.

Pictured below in 350 mode...if you are interested in an excellent mechanical mod, I can't recommend this one highly enough. Looks great, hits hard. Not as conductive as a copper tube, but that metal is rather soft and prone to damage from drops. Brass is a great compromise to me, harder than copper but more conductive than stainless.

This bad boy inspired me to get into coil building. I have a TOBH dripper at home, and plan on ordering this cloned Heron, which should fit my Paps clone perfectly. Now if only that one came in brass like my TOBH did.

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1830408

edit: A few posts above I pictured a Caravela clone mech I have...avoid it. The tubes are too short and the pin on the top cap is bad. Not worth the hassle. I tried to file down that center pin a bit on a sharpening stone so my tanks/drippers sit flush on them...now all the mod shorts out all my batteries.

The 19 dollar Paps clone beats the Vela clone's ass.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, if you are just starting out, you are doing it at a great time since the eLeaf iStick was just released!

If I was a newb today...I'd go for an iStick plus Kanger Mini Aero tank!

That should be all you ever need, if you don't fall into the hobbyist trap and get an acquisition disorder over this shit, heh.

Last edited:

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WtF people? Smoking is insane and with these totally unknown items you are just puffing away on like it's the smartest thing since sliced bread. I've been smoke free for 10 years and it's the smartest thing I ever did, just give them up and don't touch this flavor of the day crap.

terra firma

Reaction score
WtF people? Smoking is insane and with these totally unknown items you are just puffing away on like it's the smartest thing since sliced bread. I've been smoke free for 10 years and it's the smartest thing I ever did, just give them up and don't touch this flavor of the day crap.
They have actually been pretty heavily studied over the last couple of years. They're no longer the unknown they once were.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks I'll take your arrogant judgment into consideration.

I use my vap to smoke reefer
I wouldn't. I do believe you'll be better off getting a vape pen/kit specifically designed for reefer. I'd recommend research.

By the way, the TOBH dripper is niceeeeee. Highly recommended.

Anyone besides me fall deep enough into the rabbit hole to actually get excited over ceramic tipped tweezers? :)
I just placed an order for some, and a Heron hybrid clone to sit atop my GP Paps.

Last edited:

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to help.

rusty18

Reaction score
Javyn--I just love your passion! It's both crazy and awesome. I get the same way but only like halfway to your level. I tip my cap to you (as long as I'm correct in assuming you get deep into all kinds of random rabbit holes and buy way too much stuff haha!).
Two things:
Can you give me (and others) a brief explanation of a mod and how much more difficult it is to use than a VV Ego, let's say? What are the benefits? And which one should I get?? :)

And back to the gas station crap--I actually feel sad when I think about all the ppl who might have quit smoking via ecigs had they been given a semi-decent first experience. I tried a Vuse from a Mobil the other day though and if was way better than others in the class.
I always think about a vending machine where you put an old clearo in for recycling and purchase a new, perfectly filled one for a quarter--machine by pininfarina a la coca cola.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hah, I never thought of my self as crazy about it, rather moderate, but then again I've been frequenting e-cig related subreddits and forums so those folks are my basis for comparison. I pale in comparison to their passion. What surprises me is how politically active vapers are. Someone posts a thread on reddit about a local city council hearing re: restricting ecigs and all the sudden flash mobs of angry vapers appear raising hell and terrifying councilmen and women.

Anyway, I've falling into the rabbit hole here, but haven't bought a huge amount of stuff actually. I've had far more expensive acquisition disorders, like for old safety razors and knives heh. I've probably spent about 700 bucks this year on ecig stuff, which isn't bad considering I've saved about 2 grand not smoking cigs since then.

Re: Mods....well I'm once again kind of ignorant on them heh. Huge advances have been made very recently and you can get regulated box mods with insanely high wattages for around a hunred bucks now. I'm talking 50, 100, even 150 and up watts.

Far as regulated mods go, all you have to do is make sure it supports the resistance of the coil head you want, and make sure it can push enough wattage for ya...so anything current gen will be good I imagine. I was kind shocked to recently read that the newest generation of regulated box mods will actually let you sub ohm on them now.

I decided to go the mechanical mod route though. Mechs are unregulated, and simply consist of 1) steel/brass/copper tube, 2) top cap with center pin and 3) switch on the other end. Since they are unregulated, you will need to use your battery's voltage and your coil head's resistance to calculate the wattage you'd be getting. It's a little more complicated, but hell, it's not hard to do.

I've got my Kanger Mega with a 1.2 ohm coil on my mech now at work, giving me about 11.5 watts of power at nominal voltage when I'm at work and out and about.

When I get home, I slap on my dripper (which I built a .52 ohm coil on myself), which gives me over 26 watts. I plan on rebuilding that coil to go even lower, perhaps .3 for even more power when I get home tonight.

Nothing wrong with Ego kits like ya mentioned, but you can scale up from that big time.

I know that's a bunch of nonsensical jargon probably, but it should get ya started on some ideas to google. Hard for me to rec something to ya because it's mainly up to your preferences.

Most important thing I can mention though is be very selective and careful of the batteries you choose to power these mods. You need high drain with high current. If you build your own coil at a low resistance and slap it on a mod with an inferior battery that tries to drain more power than your batt is capable of, it can make it explode.

I like the Purple Efest batteries, very high drain. The current on my purple 18650s is 35 amps, which is pretty badass.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I probably made it as clear as mud with my rambling here....how about ya link me some shit you are interested in and I'll comment on it?

And what do you want? Do you want to blow big clouds of vapor? Do you want max flavor? Somewhere in between? Do you want something you can tinker with and adjust to your liking, or something you set and forget?

:)

edit: Looks to me right now the hottest item is the eLeaf iStick....it's a tiny little regulated box mod, about the size of a Bic lighter, which puts out a whopping 20 watts! If I was a newb, I'd definitely start out with that. My much larger MVP2.0 (which was the prior number 1 mod out there) only went up to 11.

That topped with a Kanger Aero Mini or a Nautilus mini with BVC heads would be a great setup IMO.

Last edited:

rusty18

Reaction score
Hey! sorry for the slow response. I'm sorry about the 'crazy' choice of words! I was describing that inclination to dive deep into something that I guess everyone on SF has.

So you mentioned the purple battery...i was just looking at that during the gotvapes sale.

Here are my thoughts:
I'm looking for something that I can use much more easily--or for a longer period of overall use, with a reasonable setup time---and consistently than an eGo set up. I recently moved and the store near me set me up with some of the best clearos ever---ikon by Jesse? I was hesitant but they rock as far as those go. But here I am with a burnt taste in 3 of them and all a with recently replaced coils.

I want something that looks cool and gives me a good mix of flavor and vapor, but not anything too wild. I am familiar with the style you mention for other purposes, but I want something a bit more sleek---like the Panzer!

so could I get setup with a decent version of something like that for $100 or so? And then I can just put a normal pro tank or something on it??

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could absolutely put a Protank on a mech. Those Panzers look pretty nice by the way! Not exactly my style, but I know they are highly thought of. I just don't go for the sectional mechs; I like solid tubes of differing sizes...but that's just a matter of preference.

Thing is though, as I'm sure you know, you cannot adjust the voltage on a mech, so your adjustments will have to be done on the coil. I'd actually recommend against getting a Protank though. Kanger has a new dual coil setup that I'm actually pretty impressed with. I use the Kanger Mega tank on top my mech, with 1.2 ohm coil heads, which gives me 11.5 watts at battery's nominal voltage (or around 14.5 with a fully charged batt). Coil heads with the higher resistances like 1.8 or 2.0, or 2.5 are really best for egos or regulated mods you can turn the voltage up on to overcome those high resistances. On a mech, 1.2 or 1.0 are likely going to be your sweet spot.

Mega's probably going to cost ya around 40 bucks, a pack of 5 coil heads probably around 9 - 10.

Your batteries will be from 6 - 10 each, and you'll definitely want a *safe* charger, not some cheap crap that comes with a Chinese LED flashlight. I love my Nitecore i4 charger, I think they are around 20.

As far as the mech goes, I'm seeing Fasttech.com has Panzer clones for around 27 bucks. Some people thumb their noses at FT, but I have had good experiences with them. Just keep in mind, two very important things to research reviews on when selecting a mech:

1) bottom switch

2) top cap

Very important, if you see reviews generally complaining about a mech's switch or cap, definitely avoid it. You want a good quality switch with good action and a good locking mechanism, because, since mechs are unregulated, if you throw it in your bag unlocked and something depresses the button for an extended amount of time it can explode, like the one did in that guy's backpack at the San Antonio vape con. And you want a good quality top cap that 1) has a center pin that either floats or screws in or out that will allow you to adjust the contact pin so if your atomizer has a longer 510 connection you can adjust for it and there won't be a gap between your mech and atty, which looks ugly. The Caravela mech is notoriously bad about that.

Also, some mechs have more voltage drop than others, but that's less important. But I'd definitely look into the quality of cap and switch for what you are considering.

That's actually why I chose the GP Paps clone from FT with the brass tubes, they have the best switch and cap and I can always buy any tubes with 20x1mm threading if I ever get tired of brass to mix and match. (And, strangely, the stainless steel GP Paps has a crap switch, so people who want stainless still buy the brass one one just for the switch, then usually go for the JM mod just for its stainless tubes.)

A setup like I just mentioned is definitely all you need, but I warn you, once you see what a mechanical mod is capable of, you *will* become interested in rebuildable atomizers and drippers to build your own coils on and really bring out the power of these simple devices.

edit: Oh yes! One more thing to keep in mind, a mech isn't going to notify when your battery is low, and you never want to fully discharge these batteries. Once you notice your vape starts tasting weak, and your clouds getting smaller, swap batteries. Never push them to full discharge. You don't want them to discharge below 3.0 volts. Not hard to tell when you need to swap batteries though. Once your batt gets below that 3.7 nominal voltage, it will drop off fast and you will definitely notice.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you get the Panzer? What's the voltage drop like?

I just did my first build on the GP Heron clone I got, come out to about 1.5 ohms. Really good flavor, but the draw is kinda tight; that's the tradeoff I guess. I also like that it screws directly into 20x1mm threaded tubes without the need of a 510 connector. Perfect fit every time w/o dicking around with pin adjustments.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.