• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a few opinions about Ecco men's shoes, please. Those of you who typically buy shoes of the $350 type - never mind they're not top-notch quality. I'm interested in hearing from the rest of you - representing most guys who want quality shoes but are not willing to pay for the brands with the hand-made parts that are supposed to last forever. How do Ecco shoes (in this case fairly dressy but comfortable enough, I think, to appease the podiatrist who wasn't happy with my slightly pointy dress Cole Haans) with other shoes of similar price range? The "compare with" price given for my new pair by Nordstrom's Rack was, I think $160-something. Thanks.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you would be better off getting gently used Allen Edmonds or something nicer for the same price, and then spend a little more money on a resole/repair. Shoes are probably the most important thing to have made with quality. There is no ecco shoe in the world worth purchasing.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look a bit casual. Open lacing and thicker rubber sole. Is that what you're going for?

Shark, some people are revolted at the idea of buying a used shoe. They'd much prefer a new shoe without the brand status.

Lafont, when getting shoe advice on SF, you must remember that people here run 16 hours a day on a treadmill with their dress shoes, and mostly work on construction sites in their oxfords.
This is why any shoe priced under $300 "explodes in a matter of minutes"... on SF. This is why Ecco shoes won't hold up.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot see the pic you've posted since some photo sites at my place of work are blocked, but I'll give you my $.02 on Eccos.

Like yourself, I too live in OH with its unforgiving winters. While my tastes have changed since I bought my pair six years ago, I still look to them as my go to foul weather shoe. They are very rugged. Every year they go through salt, rain, salt, snow, salt, sleet, and finally more salt. Every spring they come out looking as good as they were the previous fall. They have rubber bottoms and even though I've worn them hundreds of times, they still have lots of tread to spare. Oh, and they are incredibly comfortable.

I am very happy with the quality of my Ecco shoes. If you like the styling of the pair you have in mind, you should feel very confident pulling the trigger.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Honestly, you would be better off getting gently used Allen Edmonds or something nicer for the same price, and then spend a little more money on a resole/repair. Shoes are probably the most important thing to have made with quality. There is no ecco shoe in the world worth purchasing.

Spoken like a true card-carrying, ignorant SF'ers.
facepalm.gif

Newlaw

Reaction score
OP: I wore ecco's with rubber soles for 2 years. They held up great for me, but I don't think they are worth $165.00. They are still my go to on wet/sloshy days.

What will you be wearing them with? What setting?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark

Used Allen Edmonds? Haha, I guess that was supposed to be sarcastic.

As far as ecco goes they make a awesome pair of golf sneakers that Fred Couples has been wearing. They're classic tennis style sneakers with rubber grips on the bottom so that you can golf in them or wear them casually, pretty cool if you ask me. I wouldn't buy any of their other offerings though.

Newlaw

Reaction score
I would get these Florsheim Cap-Toes before the Ecco's. They are leather soled and have a Goodyear Welt construction, which you ordinarily don't see in shoes at this price point. Seem like a pretty good deal for $125. Florsheim isn't the company it use to be, but not everyone can afford $350 shoes right off the bat. http://www.workinggear.com/gc/catalo...ITrakid=119186
41R2DMP0CJL.jpg

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No - no used, thank you. Nordstrom's Rack does care AE's at greatly reduced prices, but there was nothing of interest yesterday.
Yes, this style is not the most dressy but, again, a major part of the selection this time was the words of a podiatrist I visited who had seen my Cole Haan's (pointier than most of my dress shoes but still not that pointy). I do have problems with my feet.
Ecco considers them dressy on their website, and their soles are not the more casual type with all the ridges, etc. Also the laceholes do not have the plastic frames. Where I'd wear these shoes is work, where I'm the dressiest employee of about 50, and the synagogue - with occasional other occasions such as a theater concert perhaps.

sqweegle

Reaction score
Living in sweden, a country infested with these ****- ugly, abominable excuses for footwear, all I can say is don't do it. Spend the money on something that is actually worth it. Bexley, Loding, Cheaney, Barker, Loake, the list goes on. Help us put Ecco out of business.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to buy a lot of Ecco before I upgraded to goodyear welted shoes for business wear. Ecco are much more comfortable for walking, though. The leather is much worse quality than AE or even the lesser English shoes, much less the SF favorites. But, compared to leather soled and stacked heel shoes, the soft rubber-like heels and soles are very comfortable on the feet and back and they last a long time. Don't believe the hype about goodyear welted soles. They are still not cushioned at all and very uncomfortable for long walks. A lot of people on this site walk into the garage, get in their car, drive to work, and then walk onto carpet in the office. On pavement for a mile+ leather soles are not forgiving at all. Ecco rubber soles are.

That said, with a suit Ecco shoes look far too casual.

I now use them for rainy days and days where snow is on the ground and/or expected. There are some that are reasonably attractive and dressy enough, but they are definitely not as stylish or appropriate with a suit or trousers and a sport jacket.

I have the Berlin GTX boot that I wear regularly with jeans in a rust/cordovan color.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first thing this podiatrist said, when seeing my Cole Hanns on the floor, was that they are "stylish but...."
This time I'm trying something else. I'm told some things on my feet will go away with better shoes for my condition (and age).

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I have flat feet which can lead to sore legs or back, so I recently switched from leather-soled shoes to the Rockport Rapaport...I can put my Superfeet insoles in them and my heels don't slip, which is all I ask. They're much more comfortable to be in all day.

I tried the Ecco Windsor Tie and they were nice but a little wide for my narrow feet.

Yes the leather isn't as good as AE, but I figure if I take care of them and rotate them as I would a nicer pair, they should last quite a while. I think durability is overblown on this forum, personally I've nver had my clothes or shoes fall apart no matter their price range.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
I wore Ecco almost exclusively until last year when I just gave up on them. Very, very comfotable, but the soles disintegate after a while. I have had 5 pairs in 8 years. One pair (the latest) going OK but the other four pairs have all gone the same way. Soles suddenly deteriorate and they can't be repaired.
Ecco refuses to acknowledge there is a problem with the soles but a quick google search reveals the ugly truth. Not sure if Geox are any better, but Rockport definitely are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads