• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Trousers - Advice? Also, Harold Powell?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
I am now scouring ebay for wool trousers, and have come across a few decent deals (to my untrained eye). While I'm searching, I was wondering what advice you could offer about how to find the best ebay deals. Specifically, I'm looking for a Charcoal and a Light Gray quality wool trouser. I'm typically a 33"-34" waist, and a 34-36" inseam (I'm 6' 5"). Also, is there a good place for me to ask "is this a good deal?" to you experienced guys while I get a feel for things and become more educated? I have of course done searches on every brand I've looked at, so I've got a decent feel for many. Though here is one a few searches haven't provided much info on, a 34" Wool Trouser by Harold Powell, retailing at $195 and buy-it-now for $35 with free shipping. Since I couldn't find much on the brand, should I just stay away, or are there specific things I should look for? $35 for a 100% wool trouser that retails for $200 sounds great, but that's to a relatively uneducated individual. Thanks for any advice you can offer! -Evan Edit: Link - http://cgi.ebay.com/195-NEW-Men-Haro...S_CSA_MC_Pants

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe that Harold Powell is a retailer in Texas.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Look to be fine enough if you don't mind the 2x pleats. A lot of people in here hate on pleats. Also, if they are pleated, you may want to get cuffs, (I would) and that hole might (probably will) cause a problem in that respect.

Can't speak to the quality of the wool because I have never dealt with this brand but for $35 you probably won't be getting screwed over. If I were you I would pass these over unless I was desperate or had been looking for a very long time and this was the best I had found.

JR'85

Reaction score
My father always said that tall men could pull of the pleated trouser look easier than stockier men. I'm 6'-5" as well and the majority of my trousers are pleated and they all have cuffs - I recommend you get them cuffed when. The description of the hole says that it's below 36 1/2" - You're inseam at 6' - 5" should be around 34". If you took them to a decent tailor they could make them work.

I say pull the trigger. I like the blue accent in the pattern too.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice looking trousers ... but be careful by drawing them to the attention of "the many" here on SF. Had they been solid grey ... I'd have clicked "Buy It Now."

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
Look to be fine enough if you don't mind the 2x pleats. A lot of people in here hate on pleats. Also, if they are pleated, you may want to get cuffs, (I would) and that hole might (probably will) cause a problem in that respect.

lot of people hate pleats because , at least for me, the pleats i dont mind, but the extra fabric in the legs make me look short.

i would love to find a pants with double pleats that comes trim and tapered in the leg (other than tailoring it)

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Harold's started in Oklahoma, and expanded into Texas. I bought some cotton twill pants at their (former) store in Atlanta's Lenox Mall. The pants were reasonably well made. I particularly liked them because, like the pants you linked, they had forward-facing (English-style) pleats. If you are not only tall, but also slim, I think that style of pleated trouser can look great. And hey -- how wrong can you go for $35?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 518aata
I believe Harold's started in Oklahoma, and expanded into Texas. I bought some cotton twill pants at their (former) store in Atlanta's Lenox Mall. The pants were reasonably well made. I particularly liked them because, like the pants you linked, they had forward-facing (English-style) pleats. If you are not only tall, but also slim, I think that style of pleated trouser can look great. And hey -- how wrong can you go for $35?

Alright, you convinced me. I pulled the trigger.

Now, any advice on finding me a good tailor in Cedar Rapids, Iowa? Now that I'm buying quality clothes, I'll need someone I can go to regularly!
bounce2.gif

Thanks!

-Evan

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 518aata

That's right. It sold preppy styled, primarily private label clothes. I suppose it could be compared to the old Britches of G'town, Eljo's or Ben Silver's, although I don't think it sold any luxury brands. The item the OP is at looking at will probably be in a fuller cut/relaxed style but it should be a good, quality piece regardless.

I read that the company went bk a couple of years ago. It had expanded the number of stores to places like the DC suburbs and Arizona, but its charm was being the symbol of east coast style in the heart of the southwest. That focus built a lot of customer loyalty and goodwill ,and the company's frequent hiring of Greeks from the local schools and junior league/country club types gave it an air of exclusivity and upscale retailing. its style however was not much different from the 90s era jcrew or Banana republic and its brand i.d. wasn't strong enough to compete with the Ralph Lauren's. Sad though that another independent retailer bit the dust.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
So as I continue to search, what is the best approach to make sure I'm looking at a great pair of slacks?

-Evan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads