• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay Suits

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Baumler? I have never heard of them, but there is a suit going for £25 on ebay! Thanks!

$(KGrHqUOKpQE24C4w5DEBNuHO6Ds0Q~~0_3.JPG

Or, what about this?

$(KGrHqIOKj4E177D7bHHBNv+w0v2E!~~_12.JPG

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Does anyone have any experience with Baumler? I have never heard of them, but there is a suit going for £25 on ebay! Thanks!

$(KGrHqUOKpQE24C4w5DEBNuHO6Ds0Q~~0_3.JPG

Or, what about this?

$(KGrHqIOKj4E177D7bHHBNv+w0v2E!~~_12.JPG

You get what you pay for.

The second one is "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren which is made for their outlets.

This is how I'd rank RL suit lines from best to worst with spaces to indicate differences.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label

Ralph Lauren Black Label

Polo Ralph Lauren

Lauren Ralph Lauren

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with ranking above. Baumler is a fused suit.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so that's out?!
laugh.gif

You won't find Lauren Ralph Lauren on the website or in their real stores... but you find it in their outlets and department stores.

To give you an idea, here are the retail prices of suiting by section (approximate):

Ralph Lauren Purple Label: $4000-$5000

Ralph Lauren Black Label: $1500-$2200

Polo Ralph Lauren (made in italy): $1100-$2000

Lauren Ralph Lauren: $0-$300?? maybe?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ergh! *head in hands I was figuring I could snatch a nice-ish suit and have it over and done with—I don't even need a suit/hardly ever wear them! Thanks for the replies, guys!

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ergh! *head in hands I was figuring I could snatch a nice-ish suit and have it over and done with—I don't even need a suit/hardly ever wear them! Thanks for the replies, guys!
What size are you and what's your price range? edit- you also realize the Lauren suit was double breasted, right?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
What size are you and what's your price range? edit- you also realize the Lauren suit was double breasted, right?
Yeah, I realised it was double breasted! I am a 38 R, 32" W, 32" L. I live in England, so I guess you may not be able to help me? Plus, I guess I'm not really looking for a suit?! If I was to buy one, ~£300-£500.

mrjames

Reaction score
£400 will get you a bespoke suit from a basic cloth at my local tailor

where do you live, if you're not in london you can probably get a bespoke piece for £600

alternatively paul smith sale is probably a good bet for a suit
i've heard good things about marks and spencers, zara good a good slim fit suit

what exactly are you looking for- £25 won't buy you much. a set of good buttons for a suit costs more than that...

edit: that baumler suit looks like it has very low arm holes and a very short body- it would fit like ****, even at £25

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I realised it was double breasted! I am a 38 R, 32" W, 32" L. I live in England, so I guess you may not be able to help me? Plus, I guess I'm not really looking for a suit?! If I was to buy one, ~£300-£500.

In that price range, you can actually get a pretty nice, new with tags suit.

Originally Posted by softy
Avoid ebay, save your pennies, buy something great and without pit stains.

Ebay does not have to be used...

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
http://cgi.ebay.com/1500-New-Polo-Ra...item1c1b6bef39 http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-New-Ralph-L...item43a6d336f6 These two are pretty good for what you're looking for and in your price range. You just have to check whether they ship to the UK. But those two are both 38R Polo Ralph Lauren suits, brand new with tags. Both made in italy, and they retail for about $1500. In fact, 500 pounds is about $800.... you can get a VERY nice suit for that price if you know where to look and how to buy online.
Thank alot! I prefer the second suit, FWIW.
where do you live, if you're not in london you can probably get a bespoke piece for £600. Alternatively, Paul Smith sale is probably a good bet for a suit. I've heard good things about Marks and Spencers, Zara good a good slim fit suit.
Thanks! I live near Salisbury (kind of mid-south, 40 minutes from Southampton!). I like Zara, sometimes. A lot of their stuff looks too Italian, for me (yeah, I won't try to explain that!)! Would love to find out what their suits are like, thanks for the tip (although, are they good quality..?!)! I have a M&S suit, already. It's pretty ****, used it only for a couple of interviews! I think I'd love to get a bespoke suit, but maybe I'll wait till I really feel like getting one! Would it be best to travel to London to get it done? Mr. James, your picture really creeps me out, btw!
tongue.gif

JGloger

Reaction score
Ebay is very much hit or miss. I've had some great luck on suits and then I've also made some mistakes.

Be sure to double or triple check measurements and ask for plenty of pictures if you're uncertain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads