• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only thing I'd like to add is that it is almost counterproductive to list an item that has 6 days to go, especially if the price is low. I like to wait until there is a day or less left, so that someone on the board has a legitmate chance of winning rather than advertising it way in advance for the whole world to see. I have it on good authority that we have been "infiltrated". There are lurkers who come here just to get the auction links.

Also, a bit of a self-serving plug. I just posted new Incotex light weight flannels and wools
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
First Thanks to drizzt3117 for starting this thread. I'm sure it's going to be useful and fun.

But then I thought of something. Would you(or I) post an Ebay item that you plan to bid on? Especially at the end of the auction(say with 24 hours or less to go).

I, would not. I don't think of myself as a greedy or crass person, but I don't see why I would invite competitive bids on something that I hoped to win for myself.

I don't think it will be a big problem and I think this thread will thrive. But, I'd like to see some SF members feelings on the issue of posting an item that you hope to win!

Here's a possible good deal on a nice Loro Piana 120's SB 3Bttn suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

2 & 1/2 days to go, no bids, and a $29.99 start price. I had interest, but the sleeves are too short for me. I always hold off if I would need to lengthen sleeves(too much chance of a problem)!

Like I said, if I were really serious about bidding and winning this suit, I would not post it here! What about the rest of you? If you were serious about bidding and winning an Ebay item, would you post it here?
boxing[1].gif

Nah I wouldn't post anything that I really wanted, but you often see things that aren't in your size, or that you already have in your wardrobe but think are a good value.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Sorry to disappoint guys, but Isaia made/makes suits for Paul Stuart to both the Gianluca Napoli (fused) spec and the better canvassed spec. Only the Stuarts Choice suits are canvassed and from what little info there is in the auction I do not think Nitro's suit is from the Stuart's Choice line.

I don't doubt A Harris, but I'm really surprised that Paul Stuart would sell fused suits. I'm sure they are nice for what they are, but I'm still surprised.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't doubt A Harris, but I'm really surprised that Paul Stuart would sell fused suits. I'm sure they are nice for what they are, but I'm still surprised.

They're definitely from the main Paul Stuart Line.

I think the stiffness I noticed in mine is the fusing - they're less stiff than my cheap suits, but nowhere near as comfortable as my Belvest and Oxxfords, which are clearly full canvassed. So, it looks like a fairly decent fusing. I did some sort of pinch test (I still don't know if I did the test right), and it appears that the outer layer of fabric on the chest area is just slightly thicker than the fabric in the back portion or lower waist portion - I think that indicates that the wool has been glued to the canvas rather than stitched.

I am considering returning them, although they do have nice styling. The only negative is that Nitro does not offer full returns. So I might just sell them and eat the difference. And Nitro did indicate that these were made to the lower Gianluca specs, which are fused, and the price is acceptable for a discounted fuse suit. I was just surprised as well that Paul Stuart would go fused.

Other than the fusing, it appears to be a fairly well made suit. Narrow arm holes, well made trousers, nice lapels. sleeves are built to have functional buttonholes if desired. But now that I've started wearing canvassed suits, I have to wonder whether I'll get any use out of the fused suit.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Someone should buy this if it stays under $70

In my limited experience - which does not extend to cashmere or to sweaters of any sort - Joseph & Lyman (a Bloomie's house label, I'm pretty sure) tends to be of fairly mediocre quality and stylistically blah. But you're probably right - at below $70, you're probably getting at least a decent workhorse cashmere sweater.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Someone should buy this if it stays under $70

I love zippered cardigans and have several I wear in fall/winter but they MUST have a double zipper or they bunch up at the bottom and don't look nice when zippered - especially with a banded waist.

I like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 but the price is a bit high imo.

The half-zip cashmere sweaters for $100 are a great deal though http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-465...QQcmdZViewItem

p.s. I bought a PL Keaton shirt from that seller w/no problems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads