ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Oct 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. EL72

EL72 Senior member

By the way, I'm glad to see this thread going. I hope it keeps up, if only because it highlights interesting stuff I might not otherwise look at.

Perhaps we should have a separate thread for all the 38Rs... [​IMG]

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

It's got a lovely lapel roll, though I find the price a bit high for olive. Olive doesn't fare too well on eBay, in my experience.

Yeah, the lapel roll is very nice. I like that shade of olive. Kind of greyish and not too green. The ticket pocket is a nice touch too. I would definitely wear that suit. I love olive and have 3 different pairs of olive flannel trousers that are probably my favorite for fall/winter.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

By the way, I'm glad to see this thread going. I hope it keeps up, if only because it highlights interesting stuff I might not otherwise look at.

I'm happy too - as long as nobody lets the auctions I'm monitoring out of the bag! [​IMG]

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Does nobody want to talk about good food?

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I have picked up an Isaia sports coat from Nitro. Good price, authentic, delivery timely. Awful lay-out. If he had something in which I were interested, would do again.

I got two of the Isaia's with the Paul Stuart labels on them from Nitr-o. about 3/8 or 1/2 lined, appears to full canvassed, but it appears to be a hell of a lot stiffer than my Oxxford, Belvest, or Paul Stuart Made in Canada (Samuelsohn) suits. Does Isaia use a stiff canvas?

Also, how do you check for a suit being full-canvassed again?

Very small arm-holes as well. It feels smaller than the Oxxford.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

If it's actually from Paul Stuart (he doesn't post a picture of the label, and I'll be damned if I read through his absurd listing), it's not the Gianluca line. Isaia, according to Aportnoy, makes the Stuart's Choice line suits. Would be top quality, full canvas. For the price, a steal.

The Gianluca line is fine, but the fusing I've seen is a little thick. Varies by garment, it seems. Not always worth the price it commands, in my opinion.

See my response above - I bit on two of them, and it appears to be the real deal. Paul Stuart labels on the lining. Very stiff canvas, though. Will have to take them to Will Field to see what he thinks.

7. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I got two of the Isaia's with the Paul Stuart labels on them from Nitr-o. about 3/8 or 1/2 lined, appears to full canvassed, but it appears to be a hell of a lot stiffer than my Oxxford, Belvest, or Paul Stuart Made in Canada (Samuelsohn) suits. Does Isaia use a stiff canvas?

Also, how do you check for a suit being full-canvassed again?

Very small arm-holes as well. It feels smaller than the Oxxford.

The Isaia I picked up did not have a stiff canvas at all. Nice drape. But, also this was not from the current batch. I agree re: arm holes. It is not an Oxxford.

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Beautiful Kiton DB tuxedo, 40L. Inseam is too short for me. It's used and has functional sleeve buttons, so caveat emptor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/very-nice-Kiton-...QQcmdZViewItem

He's been relisting that thing for ever. I keep thinking the price will come down, but it doesn't.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

10. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry to disappoint guys, but Isaia made/makes suits for Paul Stuart to both the Gianluca Napoli (fused) spec and the better canvassed spec. Only the Stuarts Choice suits are canvassed and from what little info there is in the auction I do not think Nitro's suit is from the Stuart's Choice line.

11. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Nitro had indicated to me in e-mails in no uncertain terms that the Gianluca/Paul Stuart suits are fused.

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Since people wanted the shoe thread to only be about shoes, I figured I would start this off with a nice Oxxford navy blazer with a current bid at $79.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-navy-Oxxfo...QQcmdZViewItem

First Thanks to drizzt3117 for starting this thread. I'm sure it's going to be useful and fun.

But then I thought of something. Would you(or I) post an Ebay item that you plan to bid on? Especially at the end of the auction(say with 24 hours or less to go).

I, would not. I don't think of myself as a greedy or crass person, but I don't see why I would invite competitive bids on something that I hoped to win for myself.

I don't think it will be a big problem and I think this thread will thrive. But, I'd like to see some SF members feelings on the issue of posting an item that you hope to win!

Here's a possible good deal on a nice Loro Piana 120's SB 3Bttn suit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

2 & 1/2 days to go, no bids, and a $29.99 start price. I had interest, but the sleeves are too short for me. I always hold off if I would need to lengthen sleeves(too much chance of a problem)!

Like I said, if I were really serious about bidding and winning this suit, I would not post it here! What about the rest of you? If you were serious about bidding and winning an Ebay item, would you post it here?[​IMG]

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Absolutely not, and I hope none of you post items I hope to win either.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

You know that's going to happen regularly though [​IMG] I was sort of hoping this thread wouldn't take off, but now that it has we'll have to make the best of it [​IMG]

15. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member