• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay suits, round two.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Found a couple of suits on eBay I'm interested in again. This one is tweed, looks great, and is supposedly fitted (it could be pinned, however this seller has gotten some really good feedback). I'd need to take in the trouser waist and have the sleeves let out, though, maybe even the inseam. This other peculiarity is pinstriped navy and also three piece, also fitted. The sleeves are good, the pants will have to be altered though. On the side, I also found this navy blazer-suit type thing from the seller. I'd just be interested in it for the jacket though. Whaddya think?

Ed13

Reaction score
Both suits look to be a bit old with the flared pant legs. My only other concern would be the number of buttons showing on the vests with the jackets closed. It has always been my understanding only the top vest button should be showing. Can anyone else confirm this?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flusser wrote something like that. One of his rules that doesn't work that well in reality - note even many photos in his books show men of discernible style showing more than one button. A taller man would look fine with two buttons shown, especially on a 1 or 2 button suit. The goal should be finding visual balance - between the stance of waistcoat and coat. Too much visible waistcoat will make the latter seem too low and potentially make one look datedly wrapped up.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flared pants suits
crazy.gif

!luc

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I don't see why any of you are concerned with the flared leg pants. Why would I want them recut just so I can look like I'm wearing a suit everyone else does? I'm only buying one of these to be a suit I'd wear around town or something.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I really doubt they look that exaggerated...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I really doubt they look that exaggerated...

why not just get a suit that doesnt have issues you don't want to deal with, esp since the above suit links don't seem to be anything particularly special that you'd regret not jumping on. IME trousers like that will seem to flare even more than they appear to lying flat, once you get things like the drape while worn into play. even straight leg trousers can appear flared at times

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
*sigh* Guys, I think you're imposing your standards on me too much. I'm not looking for a conservative suit for work, I'm looking for one that I like. Anyways, I ended up not bidding on those two. But with that, I found another nice piece.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*sigh* Guys, I think you're imposing your standards on me too much. I'm not looking for a conservative suit for work, I'm looking for one that I like.
So you ask for our collective opinion and it's not what you originally had in mind, why the hate playa?

As for the 60's number, I like.

A.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
*sigh* Guys, I think you're imposing your standards on me too much. I'm not looking for a conservative suit for work, I'm looking for one that I like. Anyways, I ended up not bidding on those two. But with that, I found another nice piece.

That's a nice suit. However, the seller says the jacket is 28" long...that's very short for a 36. How tall are you?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm around 6'-6'1. I really don't care if the actual length is too short, the sleeves will do fine at their length.

So you ask for our collective opinion and it's not what you originally had in mind, why the hate playa?

I didn't expect everyone to be all OMG FLARED PANTS SUCK RECUT THEM.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you stick to Baron? It seems that they serve you well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads