• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay shoe quandry

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Ok, now I am getting confused. Could you explain the vero cuiro opinion? Also, I like the styling of the Armani shoes more also but quality is quality and i don't want to buy something that is more expensive that is of lower quality. I asked the seller of the Harris to send me some pictures in natural light. That should help my assessment. Thanks for your opinions.

Notice on the Armani shoe there is that stamp that says "Vero Cuoio" on the bottom? Well, IME, that is one of Italy's lower grade shoe makers. I've had three pairs made there, one Prada, one Barney's house brand and one from Banana Republic. My Pradas feel like plastic, and wear about as well, and the soles on my Barney's got the crap beat out of them, as well as the lining. I actually think the BR ones held up the best, but at $50 who cares. Overall, I would not spend more than $100 on something made by them, it just doesn't last well and is not of good quality. If you want to look for that style shoe online, try www.bluefly.com, they sometimes have great shoes, or hit a local outlet center, maybe one with a Nordstrom Rack.

AmInAm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Notice on the Armani shoe there is that stamp that says "Vero Cuoio" on the bottom? Well, IME, that is one of Italy's lower grade shoe makers.

I had always assumed that this was just a stamp indicating that the shoe was made from genuine leather, but a quick Google search reveals that there is actually a consortium of Italian tanneries that uses the phrase (and an associated stamp) to indicate that a shoe's sole is made of genuine leather:

http://www.verocuoio.it/

Still, the trademarked stamp isn't quite the same as the stamp on the sole of the Armani shoe, and in any case, this a consortium of tanneries and not a shoe manufacturer, as far as I can tell. Are you sure there's actually a shoe manufacturer going by this name?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AmInAm
I had always assumed that this was just a stamp indicating that the shoe was made from genuine leather, but a quick Google search reveals that there is actually a consortium of Italian tanneries that uses the phrase (and an associated stamp) to indicate that a shoe's sole is made of genuine leather:

http://www.verocuoio.it/

Still, the trademarked stamp isn't quite the same as the stamp on the sole of the Armani shoe, and in any case, this a consortium of tanneries and not a shoe manufacturer, as far as I can tell. Are you sure there's actually a shoe manufacturer going by this name?

Well, all I do know is that the three crappiest pairs of shoes I have all have that stamp. The Pradas actually have a leather sole, and the stamp is on the inside of the shoe. Also, none of my other Italian shoes have it, so I always just assumed that there was some relationship between all of them. Maybe I'm wrong.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to mention that I've never seen a good pair of shoes with Vero Cuoio stamped on it. I actually was thinking they might be fake just because of that, but if DGP has some real branded shoes with the stamp, I'm wrong. Still, I think the Harris shoes would be a better choice all round.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Vero Cuoio made shoes are crap.

I thought you were joking. It just means real leather. It's a designation used by many different makers and has no relationship whatsoever to construction or quality - unless of course you prefer shoes made of plastic or rubber.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I thought you were joking. It just means real leather. It's a designation used by many different makers and has no relationship whatsoever to construction or quality - unless of course you prefer shoes made of plastic or rubber.
Well, it is a marketing push with a trademark and an association, so keep that in mind. I haven't inspected a lot of Italian shoes, but most of the better ones do not, IME, say that on them. It's sort of assumed once you get beyond a certain level that shoes will be made of leather...

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Well, it is a marketing push with a trademark and an association, so keep that in mind. I haven't inspected a lot of Italian shoes, but most of the better ones do not, IME, say that on them. It's sort of assumed once you get beyond a certain level that shoes will be made of leather...

That makes the most sense, I guess I was right for the wrong reason, lol. I just know that while my crappy shoes (some of which aren't even made in Italy) say that, my better ones don't. None of my Bruno Maglis or Ferragamos say that on them. Then again, I used to have some cheap wallets that sais "genuine leather" somewhere on them, and I now have a Gucci that doesn't. I know what VC means, but it was just the way this particular stamp was that made me think all the shoes with it were related.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about these shoes? They look nice and I need some brown shoes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-450-Giorgio-...QQcmdZViewItem

If people have bad things to say I might get these instead

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks for the opinions.

As luck would have it I have managed to aquire neither of these shoes. I am back at square one. So I ask, where can I find some decent brown oxfords for under $200 (size 12)? I know, I'm cheap. And please, don't suggest AE I don't like their style (too clunky). All other sugestions appreciated.
j

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'd check and see what grapevinehill or sausages234 have in your size. These, for example, look nice - but check the size conversion. http://cgi.ebay.com/Crockett-Jones-H...QQcmdZViewItemYou might also want to see if ctshirts has some that you like. With the various discount codes, etc. you should be able to find something in your price range if you like the styling.
These, for example, are under $200: http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/productMSB...&level3=Formal
I don't know if they're the old Loake-made ones or the "new" ones people have been discussing. If they're the old Loakes (or if the sizing runs the same) note that people (myself included) have found that you need to size down quite a bit, at least a full size. In other words, you may want to buy an 11 in CT's sizing. If you don't get the size right, at least their return policy is good.
I assume you want new? You may be able to find some lightly used Alden's in that price range.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

you say that the better italian shoes do not have the vero cuoio label on them, but my Gucci and santoni FAM both have that label on the insole.
that makes me very concerned, does this mean that they have copped out and gone to this consortium and resorted to cheaper made leather soles?

i would think santoni FAM line is much higher in quaility than both prada and barney's shoes but the vero cuoio label on them makes me think otherwise. any opinions?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
you say that the better italian shoes do not have the vero cuoio label on them, but my Gucci and santoni FAM both have that label on the insole.
that makes me very concerned, does this mean that they have copped out and gone to this consortium and resorted to cheaper made leather soles?

i would think santoni FAM line is much higher in quaility than both prada and barney's shoes but the vero cuoio label on them makes me think otherwise. any opinions?

That was just my experience, which is admittedly limited. Most of the Italian shoes that I've seen that have that stamp on the outsole are not very high quality.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look nice. I hear that they are good quality. What should I be willing to bid (ie, what are they worth)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peal-Co-for-Broo...QQcmdZViewItem

given that they're used, no more than $75. which is to say, pass, because they're already at $100.

brand new, i would go up to $200 if i really wanted them. i usually stay around $100-$150 for new shoes in the AE/BB Peal/Alden territory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads