• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EBay Shoe Help

drays4life

Reaction score
I bought a pair of John Lobb Bordors on eBay since they were an attractive price at $295 shipped, but when I received them, they have some "pitting" in the leather. In short, it looks like small spot where the leather has rubbed off /peeled off or been discolored. When I contacted the seller about it, he said that he learned a wax and water polishing technique from John Lobb and when he does it, the wax peels in these small spots. Most of the effected area is on the apron of the shoe (where they are mostly disguised by the creasing) or the sides. There is one spot on the toe where it is somewhat noticeable, but it might just be because I know that its there. The shoes look good otherwise, except for quite a bit of creasing. They fit well also.

What I need help on is: is this guy's explanation reasonable? Will it hurt the shoe in the long term? Should I return them, or is it still a good enough deal?

I hope you can see it in the pics...

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drays4life
I hope you can see it in the pics...
I think you're going to need pics that are in-focus before anyone can help you.
confused.gif
Just guessing from your description: spit (or water) shining creates a ridgid layer of wax that can crack or flake if done over a part of the shoe that flexes.

Styk33

Reaction score
Those pics are very blurry.

drays4life

Reaction score
Yeah, I know the pics aren't great. Those are the best that I could get thus far. I'll see if I can get something better. Thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well firstly, you (he) shouldn't try using the mirror shine (water/wax) technique on parts of the shoe that flex, like the apron or sides. Only on the reinforced parts like the toe and heel counters. If you build up enough wax to get the shine and then bend the part, it will crack and flake off. That may be what you're getting there.

On the toe, I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but it doesn't sound like he quite knew what he was doing, so if they were mine I'd probably strip them and start fresh with a proper shine job. It's possible that a part of the toe has absorbed something that wax won't stick to, or any number of other things could have happened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads