• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay shipping conundrum

Qubaduck

Reaction score
Hey all, I'd like to preface this by saying that my experiences with Ebay has been almost unformily positive, but I've got a situation that I'm a little frustrated by. I won a pair of pants from a seller who was quoting a rather high shipping rate before the auction had closed, and I assumed he was just padding the shipping cost a little in order to make a few extra bucks, which doesn't really bother me. Thing is, in his description the price he quotes for is Canada Post's Xpresspost service, which, as the name implies, is an express service for packages which comes at an increased price over the standard parcel service. Thing is, once I'd run the tracking number it became immediately apparent that he'd shipped using the lower priced service, and probably pocketed a little more than $20 in the process.

I'm really not too concerned about the money, and losing $20 isn't going to kill me, but aside from feeling rather insulted by this whole process I also think that he should be abiding by the terms of his own auction and frankly I don't know what to do besides leaving negative or neutral feedback. Is there a body within Ebay that I can bring a dispute this petty to, and if so is it even worth my while? thanks in advance all.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qubaduck
Hey all, I'd like to preface this by saying that my experiences with Ebay has been almost unformily positive, but I've got a situation that I'm a little frustrated by. I won a pair of pants from a seller who was quoting a rather high shipping rate before the auction had closed, and I assumed he was just padding the shipping cost a little in order to make a few extra bucks, which doesn't really bother me. Thing is, in his description the price he quotes for is Canada Post's Xpresspost service, which, as the name implies, is an express service for packages which comes at an increased price over the standard parcel service. Thing is, once I'd run the tracking number it became immediately apparent that he'd shipped using the lower priced service, and probably pocketed a little more than $20 in the process.

I'm really not too concerned about the money, and losing $20 isn't going to kill me, but aside from feeling rather insulted by this whole process I also think that he should be abiding by the terms of his own auction and frankly I don't know what to do besides leaving negative or neutral feedback. Is there a body within Ebay that I can bring a dispute this petty to, and if so is it even worth my while? thanks in advance all.

Yep.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...-shipping.html
and
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/using-...e-console.html

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
one thing you should do right away is notify the seller about this.
he can possibly have made an honest mistake, like i once had, where i had added insurance on three packages simulaneously and then when i went to the post office i completely forgot to add insurance.
i refunded the difference right away.

but if he has done this intentionally you may want to tell him you may leave neutral or negative feedback due to misleading information.

i dont mind sellers making a few bucks off of shipping ( i always add 4 buck extra to cover handling costs and running to the post office) but to not be honest is one of the most disrespecting things i cannot tolerate from business.
i rather have them flat out tell me that they want to make 20 profit , then i will at least respect that (although i dont condone it).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can people hit you back with negative feedback if you give them negative feedback if you've done nothing wrong? I know that used to be an issue and people were afraid to leave negative feedback.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Can people hit you back with negative feedback if you give them negative feedback if you've done nothing wrong? I know that used to be an issue and people were afraid to leave negative feedback.

They can.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd email the guy and tell him to refund the difference between the express shipping cost and the cost of the one you received. If he makes a fuss about it, I'd file a complaint with eBay, then leave a negative feedback. Dishonest sellers need to be kicked in the teeth. Fortunately, I'm up to a point where a few negative feedbacks will not hurt my reputation (~8 years, 100%, 240 positive feedbacks) . I'll be glad to trade an eye for an eye, then complain with eBay and wait for them to rule my way.

Qubaduck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
They can.

Actually, he's already left positive feedback for me, so I'm not too concerned about that. I'm worried that it's a little bit mean, but frankly I don't really care at this point.

Thanks for all the good advice tho... I'm prolly going to be persuing this more in the next few days. It's most definantly not an honest mistake though; when I mailed him to let him know, he told me to read the auction description (which actually agrees with me, and not him) before bidding, and then seemed to tell someone else that he feels I'm harassing him (?) It's all actually a very odd experience....

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he has left positive feedback already you should email me and explain it , it sounds like he is reasonable.

As far as that shipping goes, I think it is wrong to charge you for a higher version and you are correct in asking for a refund.

I always add in the price of insurance and confirmation and that is pretty much

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qubaduck
Actually, he's already left positive feedback for me, so I'm not too concerned about that. I'm worried that it's a little bit mean, but frankly I don't really care at this point.

Thanks for all the good advice tho... I'm prolly going to be persuing this more in the next few days. It's most definantly not an honest mistake though; when I mailed him to let him know, he told me to read the auction description (which actually agrees with me, and not him) before bidding, and then seemed to tell someone else that he feels I'm harassing him (?) It's all actually a very odd experience....

It's not mean at all, at least assuming you confirm it's not just an honest mistake he's willing to rectify. That's what negative feedback is for. The fact that he already gave you positive feedback just means that the feedback system will work the way it is supposed to, rather than being neutralized by the "MADD" dynamic that often discourages people from leaving honest negative feedback.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

They can't if you -ve feedback snipe them. I've heard there's a software that leaves -ve feedback the very last minute for you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is mean if you don't give him a chance to make it right first. So send him a polite note, offer that he probably made a mistake, and ask for a refund of the difference. If he blows you off, hit him with the -.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd ask him about it, i overshot shipping and charged someone $40 for something that cost only $25, and they emailed me about it, we met half way at like $35 because paypal fees **** sellers over as well. ebay and paypal only protect buyers, NOT sellers and I've just been screwed over buy a buyer. But the reason I refunded the guy was because he asked.

spam[1].gif

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i'd ask him about it, i overshot shipping and charged someone $40 for something that cost only $25, and they emailed me about it, we met half way at like $35 because paypal fees **** sellers over as well. ebay and paypal only protect buyers, NOT sellers and I've just been screwed over buy a buyer. But the reason I refunded the guy was because he asked.

spam[1].gif

Is there a reason you're resurrecting a thread that is nearly 2 months old?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it not still July??

How many more days of summer are left??

Have I let the last of the sunshine slip through my fingers??

Noooooooooooooooooooo

K

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lol

Having said that I've had a similar experience. An ebay purchase from a SF'er charging 40usd when the suit was crammed into a small global priority mail box and postage costs on the box was less than 20usd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads