• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Seller's Problem - Advice?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I sold four Borrelli shirts on ebay. The shirts were in mint condition, and the buyer had no problems at all with the quality of the product.

However, while I was awaiting payment from the buyer (took about 3 weeks to pay, which I allowed, no big deal), I re-measured the sleeves on a whim and found them to be slightly different than what I had stated in the auction. I had measured the sleeves of all the shirts at 34" originally, but this time three of them measured up short - one was off by just under 1/4", one was off by 1/2", and one was off by 1". Normally I have no problems with measuring, but my tape must have been twisted or I had pulled the sleeves to hard while measuring.

I emailed the buyer and told him of the problem. He informed me that his sleeve length was around a 33 1/2" so it might not be a problem, but asked if he could return the shirts with sleeves that were too short. I told him that he could return the ones with the incorrect measurements and it wouldn't be a problem.

He emailed be tonight saying he had received the shirts, but none of them worked out for him, and asked to return them. Normally it wouldn't be a problem for a smaller item, but these four shirts amounted to a pretty good deal of money to me (which probably isn't a lot to most). I am also not an ebay business - I just sell occationally so I can pay for rent and for tuition. Unfortunately (and sad) for me, this money was really needed, and it would be a big setback if I had to refund the money and then wait another 10 days to sell the shirts and get my money back.

What would you do in this situation? I definitely plan on taking back the two shortest sleeved shirts, but the one that was 34" as stated and the one that was 33.7999834315436" I feel were within Ebay's general allowance of 1/2" on measurements.

Also, I just recently emailed the buyer and explained my position, so I haven't heard back. So I'm not trying to infer that the buyer was arguing with me about this or anything. He was very very pleasant, and quick to respond through the whole process.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are a very honest and diligent seller. I hope that your buyer will accept your view.

In contrast, I am currently struggling with vip_couture, who mis-described a pair of trousers with regard to both color and size and offers merely a store credit. Grr... Paypal, btw, decided that vip_couture owes me nothing.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allow him to return the ones with incorrect measurements. If one is correctly measured but 'doesnt work' for him, tough for him.

If this is a lot of money for you, tough for you. You asked for it a little, first by incorrectly measuring your stuff, and then by offering him this return policy.

In future auction listings, I suggest including boilerplate language including "all measurements accurate to within half an inch." That's what I do.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Mack - yeah, I guess I asked for this. I am kicking myself for even sending him the shortest sleeved ones after he asked to try them anyways - I knew they wouldnt work out. Ah well, lesson learned.

philosophe - I have that seller on my watch list - always has a lot of stuff, but it seems like he doesnt have his act entirely together. The pics are never super great, there is no real description, and sizes could be more comprehensive.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would stay away. Communication is poor, shipping is slow, etc. That said, the pants are actually nice (Valentino midnight blue gab), just not what I was looking for.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I got a reply back from the buyer yesterday. It seems he has already sent the shirts back before he contacted me. So, I have relisted the shirts on ebay - no big deal. I have posted a link in the buying/selling forum.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...opshelfapparel

You have no responsibility to refund OR return the shirts, by the way, especially the one's you measured correctly.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I would feel it's bad karma to keep the shirts and only send back a partial refund. He was nice enough about the whole thing, and stated that he is out $22 on shipping charges (though I am out about $30 for ebay fees). I'd rather have these amazing shirts go to someone who can wear them and appreciate them, as opposed to sitting in a closet due to the sleeve issue.

kcgreg

Reaction score
How much do you want for a buy it now price for all four shirts??? PM me thanks.

Histrion

Reaction score
Edit: Wrong thread. Totally.
blush.gif

kcgreg

Reaction score
wrong thread man!!!

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the sale that didn't go through I thought you can file a nonpaying bidder - and that is just a bad term, where one of the options is that you and the buyer agree to a refund and you get your final fee credit.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
For the sale that didn't go through I thought you can file a nonpaying bidder - and that is just a bad term, where one of the options is that you and the buyer agree to a refund and you get your final fee credit.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out tonight.

rip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Yeah, but I would feel it's bad karma to keep the shirts and only send back a partial refund. He was nice enough about the whole thing, and stated that he is out $22 on shipping charges (though I am out about $30 for ebay fees). I'd rather have these amazing shirts go to someone who can wear them and appreciate them, as opposed to sitting in a closet due to the sleeve issue.
You can have your ebay fees reversed. It's a very simple process; just go through their seller's tools and they will guide you through the process. And yes, sending a partial refund in this situation will ultimately bite you in the butt (my phrase for bad karma).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads