• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay seller refuses to provide better description or even size indicated on item?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to move this out of the other thread.

I'm now having a very strange experience. I bid on a pair of shoes, nothing expensive or amazing, but the seller said he could not provide close up photos. Anyway, I bid on the pair and won, and the seller informed me he forgot to mention that he also had the shoe trees and provided a close up photo. I then asked him to provide another as the brand could not be seen due to camera glare, and asked him what brand and size were marked. After some emails where I was saying I was very confused because I couldn't buy shoe trees that I couldn't identify, he said they had already been sold off eBay, without comment about markings on them.

The seller claims he is located in the UK and has not had more than two or three items up on his site and has positive feedback of over one hundred.

Is there anything fishy here other than that the guy is a total pain to talk to? I was beginning to wonder if he didn't really have the item he sold or something.

Again, I bid on the item, but I am becoming very suspicious because the seller not only refuses to provide photos, but he evasively refuses to answer questions. It sounds a little bad on my part, but this only became evident when he offered trees but very evasively could not would not tell me what size or brand was indicated on them. He just showed me a couple of photos then became very evasive when I asked questions.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I think you are overanalyzing the situation. It could be that at the time the shoe trees auction ended between the time he offered you a closeup photo and the time of his last reply.

If the shoes are 'nothing expensive or amazing' as you said, just bite the bullet and pay for the auction.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the trees weren't on auction, to clarify.

Again, just wanted to feel out if anyone had this kind of experience before. Guy offers items for sale then clams up and becomes evasive when you ask a basic question like the size marked. Sadly, became apparent only after the auction I won closed.

I don't want to stiff the seller and you're probably right, but it's so weird I Just wanted to check with people.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^^ I think you are overanalyzing the situation.

Is that surprising?
musicboohoo[1].gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Some people are just grouchy and weird. You bid on the shoes. My two cents are that if you bid on them having only a certain quanta of information, and you win, you should pay for them. If there is some ambiguity, you bought the corresponding risk when you bid without first obtaining clarification.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads