• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay seller not shipping product; Best way to get even?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a week since I won the bid (and I paid within some 10-15 minutes of winning the bid).

Seller is not responding to any of my messages (sent three).

I suspect that he or she thinks that the product was discounted to their expected price and now does not want to follow through.

I've opened a case with eBay today; but is there anything I can do to inflict more penalties than a simple refunding of my money and a negative rep to seller?

I feel that if they're not willing to sell you the item after making you go through this entire buying crap, they should not be on eBay.

I will be even more pissed if I see the seller selling same item on eBay after a few weeks.

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks for your time.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing you can really do. Some few (as discussed here in SF before) do pursue some legal actions, but that just costs you more time and/or resource. My advice is, just move on. A bad rep can do more harm than you may think (*). (*) Research does show that even with one more bidder, profit can be gained significantly. So by losing at least 1 bidder for every auction because they read a bad rep, the seller will lose quite a bit.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're overreacting. Some eBay sellers are just slow. Be patient.

Were you bidding on something that was "too good to be true", by any chance?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Onix, I guess moving on is the best option. Now I'm just venting. bleachboy, the fact that he's slow does not bother me. It's that he/ she hasn't even responded to a single query from me after I paid. I escalated today and opened an eBay case because I saw that another recent buyer has exactly the same complaint as me on a similar product. It was a decent-'ish' deal but not really 'too good to be true' IMO. $200 bucks for second hand Edward Greens (this was in an auction/ bidding process not a BIN)- I'd say a sweet deal but, given the condition of the shoe, not something that made my year, month or even week.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could be out of the country on holiday? It's the right time of year for it.

Opening the dispute and taking the refund/cancelling the transaction if they don't respond by the deadline eBay allots them is probably the simplest thing.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt if seller is out of the country because he/ she has recently put up more stuff on eBay.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Negative feedback.

Groover

Reaction score
Negative feedback and move on.

You've raised the issue with ebay through the correct channels, leave it to them to sort it out.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. Negative feedback it is then.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait until the eBay dispute is complete. You may possibly still get the item. If you leave negative feedback, you loose any bargaining power. As an eBay seller, once I receive negative, I have no incentive to continue any discussions with an unhappy bidder. The threat of negative feedback is worth something. If you eventually get the shoes but there is an issue, you have no leverage except for a paypal dispute. If you want them, but want a credit for some issue, the seller has no reason to deal with you.

Don't miss the deadline, however.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
It's been a week.
If it's only been a week, I suggest that you wait a little longer.

Originally Posted by PipersSon
s there anything I can do to inflict more penalties than a simple refunding of my money and a negative rep to seller?
Why would you want to do more ... are you evil or sexually frustrated?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait 10 days and then do what you have to do. Maybe the seller is in jail or something...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-1 on neg feedback. Give the seller some time. How is his feedback generally? If it's quite good - any number of things could have happened.

Opermann

Reaction score
Give it more time. Maybe the seller was set back because of the storm.

I have a specific handling time on my auctions and some buyers are really impatient to the point of being annoying. Maybe the seller just feels like being a dick, who knows? If they have good feedback you'll eventually get the shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics