• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Seller Needs Advice Please

clintonf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently sold a suit on eBay (please refer to link below) and it was sent to the Buyer within the timescales specified.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESOX:IT

I hadn't heard any comments/feedback from the buyer and I sent a complimentary message to the Seller to see whether he was ok with the suit. and I got this response:

Hello,
I'd like to return your suit please.

The arms are a little short (which I had anticiapted) but since they have already been professionally lengthened (which I had expected to have to do) I'm not able to.

Please let me have a return address.
I replied with:

Hi xxxx, thanks for your message.

Regardng the sleeves, are you saying that the measurements that I provided are wrong?

If you are saying that, would you please provide you measurement so that I can compare this with mine when I receive the suit?

If you agree with the measurements, then please let me know as we will need to have a further conversation.

Many thanks

Clint
To which he replied:

Hi Clint,
I'm saying that I hadn't expected to find that the sleeves had been lengthened. I feel that your description should have mentioned this since I had anticipated lengthening myself.
I can't wear the suit as it is and therefore would like to return it.
I sent him a final reply of:

Hi xxx, I understand your concern and I do not want you to have a negative experience with my sales.

However, I clearly stated a length and that the marked size is a regular.

I have also stated that the suit has been worn.

I have sold many suits and all of the one thus far has never had any issues with the sleeves being too short.

My returns policy clearly states that that I will provide returns if I grossly mis-represent the item and that the buyer should ask questions to satisfy themselves that the item is suitable.

I don't think that I've mis-represented the item and even after the auction ended there was opportunity for you to ask questions.

As I said above, I don't want to make your experience a bad one with me. So what I will do is contact eBay and discuss this one with them and get back to you by Tuesday at the latest with their reply.

I urge you to do the same and if you manage to get a reply before me, please let me know.

Sorry that this hasn't gone the way you expected, but as a seller I have no idea of your sizing. However, you do and therefore asking questions is the only surefire way to avoid these situations.

I'll be in touch shortly.

Regards

Clint
Thinking about it, I don't think eBay can help me. I want to provide the best service that I can when I sell goods. However, I do feel that he's not asked any questions about the sleeve length, even when I thanked him for bidding on the auction and told of my schedule for posting.

My questions is:

What should I do?

Thank you all in advance

Clint

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I think you did nothing wrong. In fact, you even listed that the suit has working buttons on the sleeves, so how was he going to lengthen them anyway? I think it is just buyer's remorse. He is going to give you negative feedback, if you can live with that, just tell him the deal is final.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. You have 100% positive feedback on over a thousand transactions. I don't think you have to worry about one lousy buyer.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I think you did nothing wrong. In fact, you even listed that the suit has working buttons on the sleeves, so how was he going to lengthen them anyway? I think it is just buyer's remorse. He is going to give you negative feedback, if you can live with that, just tell him the deal is final.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. You have 100% positive feedback on over a thousand transactions. I don't think you have to worry about one lousy buyer.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. The actual sleeves are not working. The auction does state that later on, but I did make a mistake in the listing which you've just pointed out.

I've been on the phone to eBay and the representative suggested to me that I have appeared to have listed accurately (apart from above) and that I am well within my rights to refuse returns (as this is what I've stated in my Returns Policy).

I was also told that there is a chance of removing negative feedback in certain circumstances.

But am I being too hard about it. I am not really interested in having to sell the item again. But should I just bite it?

Thanks again

Clint

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf

I was also told that there is a chance of removing negative feedback in certain circumstances.

The only way you can get it removed is if :

-they mention import taxes
- they use your name
-they curse

Other than that... no removals.

If you care about the feedback, eat it. If you can live with a neg (thinking that he would give you one if you refuse), tell him no.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The only way you can get it removed is if :

-they mention import taxes
- they use your name
-they curse

Other than that... no removals.

If you care about the feedback, eat it. If you can live with a neg (thinking that he would give you one if you refuse), tell him no.

Hey Spoo, thanks for the advice. I've just come off the phone to them and the operator suggested another way (I'm not saying what publicly) to remove feedback.

I'm concerned about feedback. However, I'm more concerned about being fair. I would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts on whether I've done anything wrong?

Thanks, my friend

Clint

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are in the right. However, the problem is there is little you can do to defend against a buyer hell-bent on screwing you over.

He will be able leave you negative feedback, keep the suit, AND possibly also do a chargeback. These things can possibly be appealed by you, but maybe not.

The safe alternative is to get the suit back from him first. This will at least protect you from losing the 2x value of the suit (he keeping the suit and get a chargeback).

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
Hey Spoo, thanks for the advice. I've just come off the phone to them and the operator suggested another way (I'm not saying what publicly) to remove feedback.

I'm concerned about feedback. However, I'm more concerned about being fair. I would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts on whether I've done anything wrong?

Thanks, my friend

Clint

Done something wrong? No. There are far worse crimes on eBay committed every day
biggrin.gif

However if you feel like sharing what they told you, PM me.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
You are in the right. However, the problem is there is little you can do to defend against a buyer hell-bent on screwing you over.

He will be able leave you negative feedback, keep the suit, AND possibly also do a chargeback. These things can possibly be appealed by you, but maybe not.

The safe alternative is to get the suit back from him first. This will at least protect you from losing the 2x value of the suit (he keeping the suit and get a chargeback)

This.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain

The safe alternative is to get the suit back from him first. This will at least protect you from losing the 2x value of the suit (he keeping the suit and get a chargeback).

Thanks for your thoughts. However, if I do ask him to return the suit, I will have to refund him and that is what he wants.

I guess that this chargeback thing is something which I have to be aware of (I'm usually not). I don't know what grounds he'd use. But I know that this is something that can happen.

I guess that it's sometimes not enough to try and be a gentleman about things.

Looking at the buyer's feedback, he appears to be used to purchasing new items. I guess that he can assume that all items will be the same.

However, what annoys me is that he NEVER once enquired about the sleeve length. I don't know any "regular" sized person who needs longer than a 26" sleeve AND wouldn't think to ask on a used suit.

Thanks again

Clint

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a suit has been worn or altered, you are obliged to describe how much material can be let out in the sleeves. The same thing goes for pants.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
If a suit has been worn or altered, you are obliged to describe how much material can be let out in the sleeves. The same thing goes for pants.

I disagree. If you're buying an altered suit, you're buying based on the listed measurements and whether those are in line with yours. If you plan on letting out sleeves, hems, waist, etc, it's your responsibility to ask if it's possible.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I disagree. If you're buying an altered suit, you're buying based on the listed measurements and whether those are in line with yours. If you plan on letting out sleeves, hems, waist, etc, it's your responsibility to ask if it's possible.

+100

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
This kind of buyer attitude is annoying. As long as the condition and measurements are what was portrayed he needs to suck it up and deal with it. We've all bought stuff that didn't work like we imagined it would. In those instances you just resell it. I'm sure if he asked you would allow him to use your initial listing information/pics for a relist.

There's inherent risk in buying used goods, which is why you're able to get them so cheaply compared to retail regardless of actual condition. People seem to think they're dealing with Nordstrom.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clintonf,

You're in the right here, but unfortunately it doesn't matter.

Take it from someone who's been in the same situation as you, ebay is slanted very heavily towards the buyers.

Ebay will not only not remove any negative feedback that would occur here, but it's likely hey won't even review it, assuming you can get through their byzantine help structure an actually get an email address to write to.

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

That's an interesting take. Whilst I'm not trying to argue with you, this is one of the most difficult things to do. It's not always easy to know what extra material is available to let down in the sleeves as most times the lining covers it.

When I purchase used items, I take the measurements that the Seller provides as a guide as to how it would fit me. If my specific size has the requirement for differences from the provided measurements, then I feel that is up to me to ask the questions.

I wuld have a slightly different perspective if the sale was a auction style (the Buyer may not have time to ask questions). However, this was a buy it now with nearly 9 days left of a 10 day auction. Therefore, he could have taken the time to confirm any specific fit requirements.

Just my thoughts on it.

Thanks

Clint

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
assuming you can get through their byzantine help structure an actually get an email address to write to.

A phone call is 100 times more powerful, faster, and easier than sending them an email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads