• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay question

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is brand name spamming still prohibited on Ebay (the mentioning of other brand names in your description of your item)?

I see some sellers doing this... most notably some of our own forum members? Last year I was sent an email from ebay telling me to stop it or else... whatever.

I'm going to be listing an item within the next few days, and am wondering if I can do this. Thanks.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Under the 'rules for sellers' section, eBay has this to say about it...

Keyword Spamming

What is Keyword Spamming?
 Keyword spamming is the practice of including brand names or other inappropriate "keywords" for the purpose of gaining attention or diverting users to a listing. Keyword spamming is unfair to members who may be searching for a specific item and receive search engine results of listings that are not selling the item. It is also a manipulation of eBay's search engine. Users often are confused and frustrated by such tactics. Certain uses of brand names may also constitute trademark infringement and could expose sellers to legal liability.  

eBay Policy on Keyword Spamming
 Excessive use of keywords, including (but not limited to) brand names, which are referenced for the purpose of attracting or diverting buyers to a listing is considered keyword spamming and is not permitted.  

Examples of Keyword Spamming
 Here are some examples of keyword spamming that are not permitted:

Lists of words. (1.) The inclusion of words that are simply listed to attract viewers via our search engines and are not part of a context based item description. For example, it would not be permissible to state the following in your item description: "oil reproductions, art recreations, gallery, art gallery, impressionist, impressionism, oil paintings, reproduction, painting, recreation, copy, quality, reproductions, recreations, realistic, copies, paintings, old masters, replica, posters, prints, video..." (2.) The inclusion of words that are simply listed to divert viewers to your other eBay items. For example, it would not be permissible to state "Please view my other eBay listings for Beanie Babies, vintage Barbies, Rolex watches, and Chanel scarves." It would be acceptable to state "Please view my other eBay listings."
Hidden text. HTML included in the listing, such as hidden text (for example "white on white") or source tags (meta or header tags) are not permitted.
Drop down boxes. Inclusion of a drop down box in order to provide buyers with a list of items offered in other listings. Because the search engine will pick up words listed within the box, this interferes with the search results, and is thus not permitted. As an alternative, sellers may include drop down boxes on their About Me pages, as this would not interfere with the search engine.
Certain uses of brand names may also constitute trademark infringement and could expose sellers to legal liability.

I guess the main point here is 'excessive'. If you had, say, a shirt that was made by the company that makes shirts for Brioni (is it Baroni?), then you could probably legimately say, 'NWT shirt, like Brioni'. You couldn't say, however, 'like Brioni Kiton Armani Gucci', because it isn't.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been exposed Â
smile.gif
Ebay's keyword spamming policy used to be much more rigid. I got into a MAJOR dispute with them a couple of years ago. They were ending my auctions because I was including the Robb Report list of the five best ready-to-wear suits in my auctions for suits from makers on the list - for instance, I'd put the list (Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Luciano Barbera) into a Brioni auction. Their argument was that I was including the list to throw search-engine results. That wasn't why I did it - it was legimate information that was relevant. I altered my auctions by replacing a vowel in each brand name (Br*oni for instance) to shut them up. They STILL insisted that I was violating their policy. I refused to modify my auctions that time around. Interestingly, their policy changed shortly thereafter and I've had no more trouble with them. Lately, out of sheer desperation, I've cheated a few times by putting comparable and better-known brand names into my auctions for items that are very high-quality but which have zero name-recognition. For instance, putting Incotex into the title line of an auction for Valentini trousers. The Valentini trousers are every bit as well-made but nobody has ever heard of them. Do you guys think this is dishonest or annoying of me??

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with this on ebay since the only things I buy there are artglass, and the one item of clothing that I search for (and am still searching for) is a Lanvin tie from an ad I saw a few years ago.

I don't think that "spamming" is such a bad thing, as A.Harris said, to garner attention to something that has no recognition but is as well made. My problem stems from the fact when an item is said to be "as good as or better", when I know better.

A.Harris, the Valentini brand may not be well known in the U.S, but it is in Europe, AND, they are not as nicely finished as Incotex Formale, maybe Informale. They are priced the same as Incotex Informale in such stores as the "Milan Store" in.........Milan..

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think this is dishonest or annoying of me??
Nope. If I'm looking for Incotex, I'm looking for a good pair of trousers, not a logo on the back pocket - if someone can show me a comparable pair of trousers, for a lower price, then I'd thank them for the heads-up. Someone in search of this kind of item would know what questions to ask to be assured of quality, and I'm sure you'd have the correct answers. Incidentally, Andrew, I'd like to commend you for having, by far, the best-quality photos on eBay - you never have anything in my size, of course, but at least I can see every detail of what I'm missing out on... Â
biggrin.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Harris, I agree with you... I'm going to be putting up my Ruffo trench coat soon, and no one has heard of Ruffo. The quality and price range are in the same area as Hermes. I'm looking to attract that type of buyer and don't see anything wrong with it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A.Harris, the Valentini brand may not be well known in the U.S, but it is in Europe, AND, they are not as nicely finished as Incotex Formale, maybe Informale.  They are priced the same as Incotex Informale in such stores as the "Milan Store" in.........Milan..

You made good points on the Sartoriale pants so lets discuss these as well.

The Valentini cords I have are lined, and they have a three-button waist closure, split waistband, reinforced waistband, reinforced pockets, sealed watch pocket, cross-stitched and shank-wrapped buttons, belt-keeper loop etc. The stitching and fabric is top notch.

In my book that makes them at least as nice as the Incotex Formale collection, nicer if you prefer a three-button waist closure over the traditional metal clip. And they are definitely MUCH nicer than the two pairs of Incotex Informale cords I have here. In your experience, what specifically makes the Incotex slacks better than Valentini?? Does Incotex even make cords to Formale spec. ??

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Harris, I agree with you... I'm going to be putting up my Ruffo trench coat soon, and no one has heard of Ruffo. The quality and price range are in the same area as Hermes. I'm looking to attract that type of buyer and don't see anything wrong with it.

I have had no experience with Hermes leather, but I know what you mean about Ruffo. I've got a great Ruffo leather pea coat up for sale right now at a ridiculously low price and I've had no interest.

Incidentally, Andrew, I'd like to commend you for having, by far, the best-quality photos on eBay - you never have anything in my size, of course, but at least I can see every detail of what I'm missing out on...

Thanks Nick. I recently upgraded my camera and have been putting a lot more time into taking the pictures. It's good to know that the results are appreciated.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.Harris: In my book that makes them at least as nice as the Incotex Formale collection. And they are definitely MUCH nicer than the Incotex Informale cords I have here. In your experience, what specifically makes the Incotex slacks better than Valentini??
I don't know if you know this, but within the Incotex Informale line, there are different qualities, from the rough twills with less detailing to the higher end ultrafine cotton twills/ misto linos/ and wools. Again, you refer to the small booklet that comes with the pants, but the description there is so very abbreviated. When I look at my finest Informales, they have all the detailing that is listed as a Formale and much much more. For example, crotch pads, bemberg lining, etc. When I compare my 2 Valentinis to my Incotex Informales, they compare reasonbly well, although they lack some of the accoutrements of my finest Informales. Secondly, when I compare my Valentini twills to Informale twills, the material is much finer on the Incotex, which also has a nice sheen to it (lacking in the Valentini). I also prefer the waistband lining on hte Incotex, a nice soft herringbone twill, compared to a plain cotton ticking for the Valentini. There are many other differences to note. Suffice it to say, I consider the Valentinis to be eqivalent to the middle range Informales, but definitely not to the Formales. On a related note, The differences between Incotex's Informale and Formale lines get blurry as you get higher up on the Informale selections. One might even go so far as to say that the top of the line Informales is as well made as the Formales. I think the only differences between the two is the occasions when you wear them
biggrin.gif
. On the other hand, the Satoriales are a totally different matter. For me, I like them as much as Kitons and Rotas.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike C.:
I'm going to be putting up my Ruffo trench coat soon, and no one has heard of Ruffo. The quality and price range are in the same area as Hermes

Two things: Are you very sure that the Ruffo coat is the same price as a Hermes?? Same type of coat?

We were in Florence in September and I have been to the Ruffo store, I personally do not think that their leathers and workmanship is as good as Hermes, and the prices there were no way close to an Hermes (in France). I don't think that they are as nice as LaMatta either.

I have one Hermes jacket, and another by Seraphin (who makes Hermes' leather jackets). They are by far one of the finest and softest leathers around, and the detailing is exceptional. They can make goatsuede feel so much like cashmere.. My black Hermes is reindeer skin which has an unbelievable texture, like running your fingers thru soft warm butter. My Seraphin is goatsuede that feels like cashmere, and is treated to be water resistant, plus is has a light finish of something so when light hits it at a certain angle, it seems as it it has small gold flakes.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if you know this, but within the Incotex Informale line, there are different qualities, from the rough twills with less detailing to the higher end ultrafine cotton twills/ misto linos/ and wools.

Again, you refer to the small booklet that comes with the pants, but the description there is so very abbreviated.

When I look at my finest Informales, they have all the detailing that is listed as a Formale and much much more. For example, crotch pads, bemberg lining, etc. When I compare my 2 Valentinis to my Incotex Informales, they compare reasonbly well, although they lack some of the accoutrements of my finest Informales. Secondly, when I compare my Valentini twills to Informale twills, the material is much finer on the Incotex, which also has a nice sheen to it (lacking in the Valentini). I also prefer the waistband lining on hte Incotex, a nice soft herringbone twill, compared to a plain cotton ticking for the Valentini. There are many other differences to note.

Suffice it to say, I consider the Valentinis to be eqivalent to the middle range Informales, but definitely not to the Formales.

On a related note, The differences between Incotex's Informale and Formale lines get blurry as you get higher up on the Informale selections. One might even go so far as to say that the top of the line Informales is as well made as the Formales. I think the only differences between the two is the occasions when you wear them . On the other hand, the Satoriales are a totally different matter. For me, I like them as much as Kitons and Rotas.

Obviously you have paid much closer attention to the quality of trousers than I have. Still, your reply is thoroughly confusing to me...

I gather that there is degree of fluctuation in the detailing of different Incotex trousers, which seems related to the fabrics used. Perhaps there is similar fluctuation in the Valentini line.

All I can go off of is what I see in front of me when I examine Valentini and Incotex trousers side-by-side. These particular Valentini's that I'm selling have more features and detailing than the Incotex Formale trousers that I've personally owned and sold. And they are in a completely different and higher league than the Incotex Informale cords that I'm offering.

I will adjust my auctions somewhat to indicate that these Valentini's are, in my experience, slightly better than the Incotex Formale line. I appreciate your input, even if we don't agree.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two things: Are you very sure that the Ruffo coat is the same price as a Hermes?? Same type of coat?

We were in Florence in September and I have been to the Ruffo store, I personally do not think that their leathers and workmanship is as good as Hermes, and the prices there were no way close to an Hermes (in France). I don't think that they are as nice as LaMatta either.

I have one Hermes jacket, and another by Seraphin (who makes Hermes' leather jackets). They are by far one of the finest and softest leathers around, and the detailing is exceptional. They can make goatsuede feel so much like cashmere.. My black Hermes is reindeer skin which has an unbelievable texture, like running your fingers thru soft warm butter. My Seraphin is goatsuede that feels like cashmere, and is treated to be water resistant, plus is has a light finish of something so when light hits it at a certain angle, it seems as it it has small gold flakes.

My experience with leather has been, Cifonelli and Ruffo - nice, LaMatta, Seraphin, Schiatti and Salfra - very nice, Longhi - the best. Does this jive with your experience T4phage?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.Harris:
My experience with leather has been, Cifonelli and Ruffo - nice, LaMatta, Seraphin, Schiatti and Salfra - very nice, Longhi - the best. Does this jive with your experience T4phage?

More or less, although I don't like Schiatti that much. I would put Seraphin near the very top. My wife's jacket is a testament to their skills in tanning.

Zegna and Loro Piana have come out with some exceptional leather pieces, my wife and I did not get to see all of the new items that Piana were coming out with while we were in Florence because the winter collection was not complete yet. But what we did see/feel were something else .... although again, I think Seraphin is one of the finest leatherwear manufacturers around today.

My wife has a coat made for her by Seraphin, and I have yet to feel another piece of leather that is as soft. It is goatskin and when you feel the coat, it is almost erotic. To top it off, being goatskin makes it extra durable.

With Seraphin, one can choose the type of leather, from cowhide, lambskin, goat, etc, etc. As long as your wallet stays open, they will make it for you.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Zegna and  Loro Piana have come out with some exceptional leather pieces, my wife and I did not get to see all of the new items that Piana were coming out with while we were in Florence because the winter collection was not complete yet.  But what we did see/feel were something else .... although again, I think Seraphin is one of the finest leatherwear manufacturers around today.

Did you know that Zegna bought Longhi and so Longhi is making their best leather now?

Your fondness for Seraphin is echoed by one of the most knowledgeable and tasteful men in American retail - Wilkes Bashford. From what I've heard he considers Seraphin to be the best. I'm not really qualified to comment at length on Seraphin as I've seen a only very few pieces. What I saw was nice though.

Your wardrobe must be amazing to behold..

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS just came by and dropped off my two Tino Cosma 8ply ties.............SWEET. One exactly like the one in the September issue of Robb's Report, in blue copper paisley, the other in tone on tone copper paisley.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
The Tino Cosma people are really nice. I contacted them in Milan since the Limited edition 8plys were not available here in the Netherlands. Since they had some material left, they made it up for me. Almost as good as going to some fabric stores in Florence/Rome/Milan where they have a tie maker on the premises and you chose your fabric, they make the tie for you in the style that you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads