• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay purchase ...

solidvince

Reaction score
So I picked up this overcoat off the 'Bay on auto cruise thinking it was a good deal, as it was my size and I figured I could get a small hole near the hem repaired. I think I got it for a pretty good price, but now that I'm looking at it I don't know if it's going to work. It looks like I would have to get it tailored to be slimmer, but the button placement is a little high ... sort of like another overcoat I have (that one is gray and from H&M though).

I'm starting to notice a lot of the overcoats/topcoats I see now have a lower button placement, particularly the top button, and show more of the tie (midpoint). This coat's stance is pretty high up there.

So, is this a dated looking coat that probably can't be salvaged? Or is it worth the money I'm going to spend in tailoring it up (around $150 ... not counting the shortening reweave)? I may have pulled the trigger on Oxxford namesake alone. Thoughts?

Vince

gungadin25

Reaction score
I think you can still wear it. I also saw it on eBay. Didn't pull the trigger because I probably wouldn't wear it.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
well if the quality of the coat is nice, then it is probably worth fixing up. The coat is not to my taste though.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by solidvince
No one has a comment at all?

Is this an ebay problem? Why pull the trigger?

As soon as you have it, visit your tailor. Then alter or resell.

solidvince

Reaction score
No, it wasn't an eBay problem as much as it may have been a poor decision on my part. That's what I was trying to find out. I didn't do a whole lot of research on overcoats before I saw this one, so the things to look for weren't readily apparent. The quick search I did do on the forum didn't yield much in terms of classic styles as much a material.

The question I should have asked is whether or not the style of the coat looks timeless or one which looks dated. If it could work without making me look like I was rocking a throwback, I would spend the money to get it altered. It the style was a bit old and that was apparent, I would just try to resell. Unicorn's response was more in line of what I was looking for (regarding personal taste toward the piece).

What exactly should I look for in an overcoat for a timeless look? What style do you gentleman prefer? I still have yet to get a charcoal, so there's hope I'll get it right the next time.

To those that replied earlier, I appreciate it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you're overanalyzing. I doubt one in 1,000 people would be able to guess if that coat were made this year, five years ago or 20 years ago. It's a coat, not a sport coat or suit coat, and the high top button will keep you dry and warm. If it fits well, wear it in good health.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by solidvince
No, it wasn't an eBay problem as much as it may have been a poor decision on my part. That's what I was trying to find out.

What exactly should I look for in an overcoat for a timeless look? What style do you gentleman prefer?

To those that replied earlier, I appreciate it.

I prefer an old overcoat with holes and I bought a barbour extra to wear over my dresses (I wear dresses everyday).

Finally I think you are overdoing it. How much time will you wear the coat. And will people love or hate you for wearing it? No! You have to look good the moment you undress the coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads