• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay problem :(

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I started selling some items on ebay recently. One of the items was a shirt. The item ended 11 days ago and I specified I wanted payment within 7 days of the end of the auction.

The winning bidder for this shirt never responded to my initial email with details of payment, my payment reminder, or my follow-up email.

Last night I contacted the second highest bidder, and this morning I negotiated a price. I told him I would prefer to wait until friday or saturday to ship just to make sure I gave the winning bidder enough of a chance. I sent out a warning to the high bidder telling him I was going to file a non-paying bidder report and leave negative feedback if I didn't hear from him. I guess I just figured I wouldn't get a reply back, so I told the second highest bidder he had a deal and shipped the shirt this morning. A few hours after I sent that shirt and the warning email, the high bidder sent the money to my paypal account.

What should I do now? I emailed him right away telling him the shirt had already been sent. However, I sold the shirt to the 2nd highest bidder at a much lower price, plus I lost money in listing/final value fees, I lost $3 to paypal when receiving the money from the late payer, plus I will have to send $3 extra to make sure he gets the full value back in his account. Should I send the full amount back to him, or should I dock him extra money? Thanks for the help.

Brian SD

Reaction score
That's a very tough situation, but my advice would be to send him a full refund (including the $3). Somewhere along the line you may be breaking some rules if you don't.

I'm sorry it ended up that way. Anyhow, you should still leave negative feedback and file a NPB report. You said "7 days" and he didn't comply - it's his fault and no one elses.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very tough situation, but my advice would be to send him a full refund (including the $3). Somewhere along the line you may be breaking some rules if you don't.

I'm sorry it ended up that way. Anyhow, you should still leave negative feedback and file a NPB report. You said "7 days" and he didn't comply - it's his fault and no one elses.
He said he was away on business...I know that is BS though. Who takes an 11+ day business trip and gets back just a few hours before I file a NPB report? Only problem is I have around 10 feedbacks, and I really can't afford to get my first negative now. I'd rather negotiate it. Besides, he did send payment (though it required a threat), so I don't know how much of a case I'd have for a NPB report.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ahh that's true. If you negative him, he will most definitely neg you in return, and that will be 9% of your rating which is no good at all (Hell, I dont bother with people under a 99.6%)

Well I think then, the best answer here is to just refund him the full amount, tell him he's a prick, and end it there - It's safer, and although he was shoddy, you won't have to deal with disputes or legal battles. Good luck.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the "fun" of selling on ebay.. NPB's (non-paying bidders) are rarer these days (5-10% instead of the 25% I used to deal with) but they will still waste your time and money with regularity.

Log onto your paypal account, click on the "details" link for the late payment you recieved, and at the very bottom of the page click on the "refund payment" link. He will get all his money back and paypal will refund the fees they charged you. You can also report to ebay that you sold it for a lower price and they will adjust the fee accordingly. It's a major hassle though so I never bother...

And don't negative him - if you do he will just feel free to return the favor, even though you do not deserve it. Instead just don't leave feedback. The threat of a negative will probably deter him from leaving you a negative. Ebay's feedback system is VERY flawed in this way.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the "fun" of selling on ebay.. NPB's (non-paying bidders) are rarer these days (5-10% instead of the 25% I used to deal with) but they will still waste your time and money with regularity. Log onto your paypal account, click on the "details" link for the late payment you recieved, and at the very bottom of the page click on the "refund payment" link. He will get all his money back and paypal will refund the fees they charged you. You can also report to ebay that you sold it for a lower price and they will adjust the fee accordingly. It's a major hassle though so I never bother...
Wow, thanks A Harris, I didn't know you could do that. That makes me feel a lot better
smile.gif
I know $6 ($3 that I lost, plus an additional $3 I'd have to send to him so he would get his full amount back) isn't a lot to gripe about, but I guess the fact that I didn't have to loose extra money if I would have just held out is what gets me a little upset. I guess you have to take everything in as a whole and look at how you did at the end of the year.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, and you were well within your rights to sell the shirt to someone else, so he has no reason for complaint. Although next time I would wait 24hrs after sending the NPB report.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And don't negative him - if you do he will just feel free to return the favor, even though you do not deserve it. Instead just don't leave feedback. The threat of a negative will probably deter him from leaving you a negative. Ebay's feedback system is VERY flawed in this way.
I completely agree about the flawed feedback comment. I was reading over their policy about feedback today and they will never step in - even when they know it was retalitory feedback - because then it makes them liable.

I was thinking about emailing him before I refund his money and ask him to leave me a positive for being understanding and not filing the report ----- and then slamming him back with a negative as soon as I get that. Vindictive? Yes. Bad Karma? Yes. Wrong? I don't know...

Brian SD

Reaction score
I was thinking about emailing him before I refund his money and ask him to leave me a positive for being understanding and not filing the report ----- and then slamming him back with a negative as soon as I get that. Vindictive? Yes. Bad Karma? Yes. Wrong? I don't know...

That is priceless.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I received an email tonight from the winning bidder. He appologized to me and told me to deduct whatever losses I incurred (from the money lost to ebay and by selling the item cheaper) and refund him the difference. I think that really was nice of him. I feel bad taking his money like that but then again it did cost me some. I'm not sure what to do next.

vero_group

Reaction score
Those represent your damages. Take the money he said you can keep, refund the difference, and then leave him positive feedback.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vman - Thias is one frustration, there are others. Overalll it is a good system. Regarding feedback I usually don't drop a negative on someone but will do so if appropriate.

Your other problem that you have not discovered yet is returns - no matter how perfect the garment some folks will find a reason to be unsatisfied. Make sure you design a clearly worded policy on this. Make the WRITTEN policy more stringent than the real policy so you can be flexible. Sizing is a common issue, often someone THINKS it will work but doesn't - exchange it for them if you can and over time you build loyal customers. I'll hazard a guess that Aharris' clientele these days is largely repeat business like mine is? Plus, after a while you develop customers who you do other business with outside ebay WITHOUT violating ebay's fee avoidance rules.

Hang in there pal :)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vman - Thias is one frustration, there are others.  Overalll it is a good system.  Regarding feedback I usually don't drop a negative on someone but will do so if appropriate.

Your other problem that you have not discovered yet is returns - no matter how perfect the garment some folks will find a reason to be unsatisfied.  Make sure you design a clearly worded policy on this.  Make the WRITTEN policy more stringent than the real policy so you can be flexible.  Sizing is a common issue, often someone THINKS it will work but doesn't - exchange it for them if you can and over time you build loyal customers.  I'll hazard a guess that Aharris' clientele these days is largely repeat business like mine is?  Plus, after a while you develop customers who you do other business with outside ebay WITHOUT violating ebay's fee avoidance rules.

Hang in there pal :)
Carlo,

Thanks a lot for the support. Good point about the return policy. I take measurments from all parts of the garment (as per the 'how to measure for ebay' thread) and even do this on shirts, spring jackets, etc. Maybe a bit excessive, but then the customer can't complain that it was the wrong size - everything was laid out right there. You're right on with the return policy though, I'll make sure to come up with one for my next round of auctions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads