• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay payment methods

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What payment methods do you all use when buying things off Ebay?  Having been ripped off by a disreputable seller (who is no longer registered) while using a money order, I would like to pay by credit card.  I've read, however, that Paypal requires a checking account number when signing up, which I am most definitely not willing to give.

bryce330

Reaction score
Paypal doesn't require a checking account number when signing up, at least not when I signed up. Maybe their policy has changed but I doubt it.

You can register a checking account number and have your payments automatically withdrawn and/or deposited into your account, but a credit card works just as well. There are some eBay sellers who only accept Paypal payments from checking accounts (and not credit cards) but they are a tiny minority.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who was the seller? I'm a bit worried because I just paid a seller via money order and their user ID was canceled shortly thereafter.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was the seller? I'm a bit worried because I just paid a seller via money order and their user ID was canceled shortly thereafter.
The seller who ripped me off went by the user name shop_tavthong.  He was deregistered in August 2002 -- a day or so after I sent him a money order via BidPay.

Best of luck to you.  Unfortunately, as I painfully discovered, the only thing that keeps much of Ebay running is the desire of sellers to maintain a good reputation.  Assuming that the seller is a "repeat player," he won't cheat you unless the amount you're paying him is greater than the future stream of income he will be forgoing if he fails to live up to his word and you leave negative feedback.  Once a seller is deregistered, however, that incentive is gone because his reputation is already shot.  So unless your seller is uncommonly honest, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your purchase.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a nightmare for sure. Fortunately though it's not too common. I've probably bought close to or over 1000 items on ebay and I've only run into this twice.

The first time it happened the seller sent me the item and it was majorly flawed. When I asked for a refund he ignored me and his ID had just been canceled so I had no recourse.

This time I have a history with the seller and this particular item so I'm sure I'll get it. (Also it's a different guy - not the one who ripped you off.) But I can't help being just a bit nervous.

As a seller myself I can tell you though that the majority of the professional ebay sellers are honest. Not just in our dealings but also as people. Of course there are always a few bad apples out there that ruin it for the rest of us.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for the safest way to pay? Paypal for sure.

They have safeguards in place for buyers and sellers. They aren't foolproof but they are better than nothing. Also they are now offering insurance on a lot of transactions.

I was one of their very first customers so I don't know if a checking account # is required or not. I wouldn't worry about giving it even if it were required. I've been using them for three years now without a single problem. 75% of my income comes in through paypal. In fact I find they are the most proactive and secure company I've dealt with. They are always calling me to verify certain transactions and have even temporarily frozen the account when they spotted something suspicious. It can be annoying sometimes but I'd rather that they be careful - I've been a victim of credit card fraud several times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics