• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

eBay - Oxxford Vicuna Overcoat - 42?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
16,909
Reaction score
2,999
Originally Posted by Charley
Not mine. Just an intereating Overcoat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Vintage-100...QQcmdZViewItem


I was going to chase this baby, but I was fooling myself, if I thought it would go for a relatively low price. Theres already a bid by a reseller, ricysue, and it's just been listed.

BTW: It's an Oxxford King's Vicuna, in what is described as perfect shape. It will go for $1000 or more. The seller is not that sharp! He left Oxxford out of the description, and now that there's a bid, it's too late.
 

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
7,805
Reaction score
77
Thankfully it's not my size so I won't be sick at that final price.

The seller probably hit the jackpot at the thrift store. Wish one of those would float my way.
 

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
16,909
Reaction score
2,999
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
It's been re-listed and can now be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290045421540

I put my bid in!


I figured it would go for about $1000!

This is further proof that classic quality items sell high. The styling still works, and if it's truly mint, I think the buyer did well, since a new Vicuna Overcoat of Oxxford quality would be a lot more than $1551!
 

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
7,805
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I figured it would go for about $1000!

This is further proof that classic quality items sell high. The styling still works, and if it's truly mint, I think the buyer did well, since a new Vicuna Overcoat of Oxxford quality would be a lot more than $1551!


10X as much?
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by AlanC
10X as much?

maybe. vicuna is very expensive. i'm not sure what oxxford charges, but it does get into the 5 figure range for an overcoat.
 

fkl118

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2003
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
Was it someone here that offered to BIN for $100?
 

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 18, 2006
Messages
11,603
Reaction score
166
Originally Posted by fkl118
Was it someone here that offered to BIN for $100?


Yes, that was me...
 

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
7,805
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Yes, that was me...


Hey, don't beat yourself up over it. Had it worked you'd be the biggest genius on the forum. I've gotten some ebay steals by offering to do a BIN to a seller. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I usually begin by simply asking if they would do a BIN without mentioning an amount.
 

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 18, 2006
Messages
11,603
Reaction score
166
Originally Posted by AlanC
Hey, don't beat yourself up over it. Had it worked you'd be the biggest genius on the forum. I've gotten some ebay steals by offering to do a BIN to a seller. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I usually begin by simply asking if they would do a BIN without mentioning an amount.

That's great advice... I'll try that! Thanks...
 

Charley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
2,612
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I figured it would go for about $1000!

This is further proof that classic quality items sell high. The styling still works, and if it's truly mint, I think the buyer did well, since a new Vicuna Overcoat of Oxxford quality would be a lot more than $1551!


Classic quality items sell high? Relative to what?

Someone buys a good cashmere topcoat OTR for, say, $2,000. Wear it for 20 years, keep the moths off, don't rub the napp off of it anywhere, sell on eBay for $200.

Someone buys an Oxxford Kings Vicuna for, maybe $15,000. Wear for 20 years and sell on eBay for $1,500.

One had a net cost of $1,800. One has a net cost of $13,500. All hypothetical. Which "held the value" better?
 

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
16,909
Reaction score
2,999
Originally Posted by Charley
Classic quality items sell high? Relative to what?

Someone buys a good cashmere topcoat OTR for, say, $2,000. Wear it for 20 years, keep the moths off, don't rub the napp off of it anywhere, sell on eBay for $200.

Someone buys an Oxxford Kings Vicuna for, maybe $15,000. Wear for 20 years and sell on eBay for $1,500.

One had a net cost of $1,800. One has a net cost of $13,500. All hypothetical. Which "held the value" better?


Charley,
I see your point and I agree. But this seller is an "Estate" buyer. I emailed him and he's a nice guy. I doubt he paid as much as $100 for the coat. He apparently got "Thrift Store Lucky"! He didn't know clothes well, and he was amazed that he got $1551 for the coat!

Of course you are right in what you say. But wouldn't you agree that most people that can and do buy $15,000 overcoats, don't sell them on Ebay. That would go for $5,000 Bespoke suits, and Kiton and Brioni bought at full retail (yes, amazingly many do buy like that!).

The 10% rule usually applies. That is that one is lucky to get 10% or less of full retail after an item is worn a couple of times. Occasionally, on this thread we'll see someone that bought a very expensive item (for themselves at retail) trying to sell it. But on Ebay, the vast majority of those selling very expensive clothing items, did not pay anything close to retail for it.

So, I fully agree that one should buy something retail for the enjoyment of wearing it and not for any "investment value!".
 

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
7,805
Reaction score
77
Originally Posted by rnoldh
So, I fully agree that one should buy something retail for the enjoyment of wearing it and not for any "investment value!".

Or do like me and buy gently used, and enjoy it all the more!
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,040
Messages
9,227,465
Members
193,694
Latest member
sairmvhari
Top