Ebay luxury goods wholesalers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by banksmiranda, Sep 22, 2003.

1. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

------------------------------------------------------------

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's pretty common practice for a store to sell its remaining inventory to a reseller at the end on the season, after all the seasonal sales have finished. Most resellers used to be brick-and-mortar deals like Loehmann's or Filene's Basement, but more and more, resellers are turning to Ebay, which requires much less overhead. It's worth noting that the business is getting cutthroat. In the old days (i.e. maybe 5 years ago) a retailer could expect to get 20 cents on the dollar. These days, the resale starting price on Ebay is about that, especially for more expensive items (Jeans go for about $50-80 for $150 models. $4000 Kiton suits might get $1000. Go figure) and retailers can look at about 0.10$ on the retail dollar.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are less costs to start an ebay business for sure but let me tell you - the amount of labor it takes to sell an item on ebay exceeds the labor it takes to sell an item in a store by a very very large margin.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I agree with that- at least, the way that I sell on Ebay. I have auctions the way I want to SEE auctions- very well taken pictures that accurately capture the item's color(s); a detailed item description, including measurements; anything that would be considered helpful (ie, stating that brand xx clothes normally run small).

5. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Ironically, except vis-a-vis price, shopping on eBay is infinitely less satisfying than shopping in-person, irrespective of how much labor the seller put in.