• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay issue: seller not honoring auction

carl_paris

Reaction score
Anyone experience this before?

I won an auction on eBay, but now the seller claims he had reserved the right to sell the item elsewhere if bids did not meet his expectation. Bidding started at $1 and ended $200+, no reserve.

Long and short of it: seller will not honor the auction outcome. Anyone have experience of resolving a similar case?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's BS! You need to go to war if you really want that item. Contact Ebay and PayPal if you already paid for it.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carl_paris
Anyone experience this before?

I won an auction on eBay, but now the seller claims he had reserved the right to sell the item elsewhere if bids did not meet his expectation. Bidding started at $1 and ended $200+, no reserve.

Long and short of it: seller will not honor the auction outcome. Anyone have experience of resolving a similar case?

That's what a reserve is for...I'd bring it up with eBay!

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
This is actually a violation of e-bay policy. If what you say is true, the seller is obligated to honor the agreement and complete the transaction. The item being out of stock is one thing but stating that he didn't like the sale price is a clear violation.

You can report it. It won't help you get the item but the seller might end up with a violation strike.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem several times before (with item not selling for the price the seller had wanted, or seller putting a typo in a reserve price). There is really nothing that can be done. In each case, I have left negative feedback and have received negative retaliatory (and fictional) feedback in return. At least those days are over.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had a similar issue yesterday on 2 auctions for some nice suits that had no reserve and no BIN. I put in a bid, as did others, then I get an email that the auction closed and our bids were cancelled. It then shows the item was relsited and then bought with a BIN.

I thought once people had put bids in that there was a requirement to sell? Appears not.

kaws&effect

Reaction score
Heres my issue...

I purchased a pair of Visvims from a reputable seller with over 400+ positive feedbacks...They are located overseas and I am in the US.

I paid immediately as I got them for a good price...$150 + $45 shipping.

I let a day or 2 go by and never got tracking info as promised in the listing so then I emailed the seller just to ask if they were shipped yet and if I could get the tracking info...

A few days later, I got this email...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I am sorry to e-mail you so late. I was about to send your shoes today, but somehow my son got to them and drew a white line. I am very sorry, I cannot send defected products to my buyers.
I would like to refund you. My Paypal account is limited and I cannot send you the refund through the payment details page. If you file something through Paypal, unreceived item, then you will receive the refund. I am really sorry for this inconvenience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However...

I have actually heard this exact same excuse before which led me to believe that the seller simply didnt want to sell them to me due to the low winning bid...

I simply asked the seller to send me the refund and a picture of the new defect and there would be no problem...(I even said that if the mark wasnt too bad I may still be interested)

Since then, I filed the non-reciept claim with paypal and I have not heard back from the seller, nor recieved the refund via paypal and it has been over a week now.

How should I proceed?

I want to remain civil but the sellers lack of contact is really getting on my nerves and my patience is wearing thin...

Any advice?

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I hate ebay.

+1.

Ebay has gotten worse and worse. It's a terrible place for sellers and buyers.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I hate ebay.

+100!

There is always a bunch of Bull S&!t in dealing with ebay. Either that or the item you get is a knock-off!
baldy[1].gif
I gave up!

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a seller and buyer, I agree with what's already been said. I look forward to when I can post for sale here, and avoid the headaches of ebay. I've already bought off the B&S forums and am eagerly awaiting my purchase.

As far as the original post goes, as a seller, I've had occasion where I went to ship an item that was sold and noticed a defect. I've always promptly notified the buyer and issued a refund. Also, I'm always happy to provide photos of the problem if asked. Seller just sounds a bit flakey. I guess you can watch to see if they relist the item...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't used eBay in several years now. I bought lots of terrific items, but I also had my share of problems.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Complain to ebay and Paypal immediately.

2. Leave a well-tempered but explicit negative. Give one star in all fields--that really hurts them financially as ebay charges them more if they don't get 5 stars on everything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics