• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay issue. Any opinions?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I actually think that your auction is borderline deceptive. A 44 inch tie is completely unwearable, and you know that. You didn't outright lie, and you did disclose the flaw. However, you state that the tie is still wearable even with the cut blade. That is simply false.

Perhaps the buyer should have read more carefully. But while 99% of this forum may know that a 44 inch tie is not wearable, less than 1% of the rest of the world would have any clue what is an appropriate length for a tie.

I'm guessing that you knew the tie was unwearable and were hoping a buyer wouldn't understand that 44 inches made a tie unwearable. If you feel comfortable selling something in this manner, then that's your call. However, I think the buyer has a reasonable complaint.

that is his opinion. far fetched, but still an opinion. his facts are right though.

i dont care what the ebay seller puts in his description, if he puts "this is a beautiful hue of blue" i dont really take that into consideration. i just go by the facts of the description and will ASK questions to the seller before i place a bid.
buyer should always look in to what they are attempting to buy.

hey i take photos of a shoe or coat in the most flattering of angles. (of course i disclose any defect) . if i know a coat to not have a flattering fit, i wouldnt take a photo of me in it.
that is the buyer's reponsibility to find that out. he would ask "can you wear it and take a photo?" well, then, i would if they ask. but you see, looking to see if your own opinions match that of the sellers, is not the seller's responsibility , it is the buyers.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
that is his opinion. far fetched, but still an opinion. his facts are right though.

i dont care what the ebay seller puts in his description, if he puts "this is a beautiful hue of blue" i dont really take that into consideration. i just go by the facts of the description and will ASK questions to the seller before i place a bid.
buyer should always look in to what they are attempting to buy.

hey i take photos of a shoe or coat in the most flattering of angles. (of course i disclose any defect) . if i know a coat to not have a flattering fit, i wouldnt take a photo of me in it.
that is the buyer's reponsibility to find that out. he would ask "can you wear it and take a photo?" well, then, i would if they ask. but you see, looking to see if your own opinions match that of the sellers, is not the seller's responsibility , it is the buyers.

I disagree. The tie has one function, which is to be worn. Whether it is wearable is not an opinion. It's a fact. By saying that the tie is "very wearable," he is misstating the most important fact about item.

It's like selling a car with a corroded engine. You show a picture of the engine and state in the auction that the engine is corroded, but that the car can still be driven. In reality, you haven't actually tried to drive the car and have no knowledge about whether corrosion makes a car undrivable. The buyer gets the car delivered and finds out the corroded engine makes the car not drivable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads