• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay is getting depressing ..

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not found any decent clothing items on eBay lately... Anyone agree?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ive given up checking on ebay for any good shoes/clothing deals since beginning of this year.

i remember a couple of years ago there were always some good hidden treasures every week that would pop up and a bidding war would start or i would ask the seller to BIN to me quickly before someone else noticed it or picked it up.

now i removed all my ebay bookmarks.

nsoltz

Reaction score
Actually, just found an Isaia black 100% cashmere sport jacket. About 3 years old judging by label but a very "timeless" Isaia cut. Seller wanted $675 buy it now but I offered $250 and settled for $300. The 100% cashmere is selling for around $3395 now at NM so I am pleased with the deal. A few weeks before I got a cashmere-wool blend Isaia in current "Base V" model for $250.

But I agree that there are fewer great buys out there and there is a lot more junk being hyped by sellers.

adagio

Reaction score
A nice pair of Hackett moleskins NWT £6.50 last week, and a pair of Hackett tweeds for around £30. Nice but in general lots of rubbish. Some nice "seconds" in shoes, but I go to the Lobb factory whenever I'm in the UK so no real saving for me there.

Adagio

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hear there are a couple of nice shirts on eBay at the moment...
redface.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I have not found any decent clothing items on eBay lately... Anyone agree?

hmmm, I got Polo Darlton/marlow wingtips a few weeks ago, and the Cole Haan Trafton (spade sole shoe) yesterday. So it is working out for me.

I think with the 30% discount thing going on, good stuff disappears quick.

scot

Reaction score
I've found stuff, but I have odd sizes. I think the general closet staples are hard to find right now, mostly due to the crap dollar to euro exchange rate. It is getting better tough, so some of those prices will be coming down. A few years ago I could have paid 400 bucks flat for any canali suit I wanted. I only got two suits as I had racing expenses. (Fricking 2-stroke engine rebuild, then cracked the mount, then cracked the starter housing, then... etc etc. it NEVER ends but thats part of the fun!
smile.gif
) I wish I got more.. now they are 700+ each and not even close to as interesting. Hmm that reminds me, time to go order that bookster suit I had been thinking about.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. I found that in the last two years it was moving more and more to discount shopping with higher starting prices. Many jackets are like a low sale price at a department store. There are fewer real auctions. I do think that there will be a glut of low priced quality goods hitting the site. Too many stores just can't sell enough inventory and my friends in the close-out business say they get offers to buy quality goods at levels that exceed post 9/11.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found some nice odds and ends lately on ebay.

I would imagine with the economy heading sideways, at best, that there will be more items headed to ebay at a cheaper price. I'd also expect to see retailers slash to move inventory.

Lawman

Reaction score
Last month I picked up a brand new, in bag with tags, Sea Island Turnbull & Asser shirt for $75.00.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
You bring up a good point. I found that in the last two years it was moving more and more to discount shopping with higher starting prices. Many jackets are like a low sale price at a department store. There are fewer real auctions. I do think that there will be a glut of low priced quality goods hitting the site. Too many stores just can't sell enough inventory and my friends in the close-out business say they get offers to buy quality goods at levels that exceed post 9/11.
+1 They basically admit that this is their business plan. On the other hand, I just scored a mint-looking BB Golden Fleece odd jacket for the starting bid of $79. Could be a buyer's market these days.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me finding nice items is not the problem it's finding them in my size.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My buying on eBay -- when it comes to clothes at least -- has slowed down to almost nothing the past few months. Mostly due to satiation but partly also to the fact that finding good stuff among the sea of garbage is getting harder.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a (casual) seller, I'm finding it harder to move stuff.

leeson43

Reaction score
i only buy something if its at thrift prices.....had too many bad experiences with ebay in the past to drop proper money

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads