• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay help needed.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to sell one of my leather coats on ebay. I've never sold anything on it before. Anyone have experience selling something on ebay? What is your best advice for me. Also, what are the fees involved when selling an item?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the question about the fees. I already found all the info I need, but any other advice is apprecitated.

How do I figure out how much shipping and handling costs, and the shipping insurance?

pstoller

Reaction score
I'm looking to sell one of my leather coats on ebay. I've never sold anything on it before. Anyone have experience selling something on ebay? What is your best advice for me?
A picture is worth a thousand words. Take a few pictures (not too many, but enough to show all the vitals: front view, back view, any exceptional details, label if it's a designer item, etc.), and make sure they're of good quality. Nothing kills an auction like lousy photos. Working with a digital camera is a lot easier.

Describe your item well. Include ample details about size, including both the tagged size (if European, add US equivalent) and measurements for shoulders, chest, total length and sleeves. Describe the color, in case someone else's monitor doesn't display your pics accurately. Mention anything that is a legitimate selling point. Include all details about payment types accepted, shipping costs, and so on. Proofread your text.

Price your item realistically. Look for similar items on eBay, and see what they're selling"”and not selling"”for. Paypal costs you money to accept, but it's worth it because it means people can buy from you using their credit cards. You'll get more bids than if you only accept checks and money orders.

How do I figure out how much shipping and handling costs, and the shipping insurance?
Get a postal scale, then get a Priority Mail box that will hold your coat and weigh them together. You can go to the USPS website to find out what shipping will cost"”don't forget to check international rates"”and also what insurance would cost for the estimated value of your coat.

RainCityClotheshound

Reaction score
Mike C., Excellent advice from PStoller. Additionally: 1) Get shipping fees online from: http://usps.com   or   http://ups.com  or http://fedex.com 2)Unique selling points Is the jacket vintage? From a famous designer? An unusual style or type of leather(e.g. horsehide)? 3)Format your auction to maximize interest   Remember,you want potential bidders to click on YOUR auction. --Use a catchy Item Description,utilizing CAPS,Exclamation points. You can also opt to place a photo next to the Item Description. --Take advantage of html tags to vary FONT,COLOR OF TEXT,INSERT BULLETS,etc. --If your text is longer,make sure to break up your paragraphs; that way it isn't boring to the eye. --Don't forget to include shipping information (both approximate costs and shipper(s) used) and methods of payment accepted. Also,demand that payment be made promptly(within 5-10 days of auction close is common),so that you're not waiting forever to complete the transaction. Good Luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads