• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Find Question and Subforum Suggestion

Mr.Perdition

Reaction score
In the grand tradition of asking for advice before making a bid, what do you folks think of the following jacket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

My eye isn't quite trained to tell the difference between an orphaned suit jacket a standalone blazer or the vintage of either.

What would be a good pants/shirt combo. From my reading in the forum charcoal is more versatile than black.

I would also like to suggest a sub-forum for those like myself who are asking for Ebay pre-purchase advice.

Thanks!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's a great deal for that price, if the measurements look right. It's not an orphaned suit coat.

WRT your suggestion, I think you will get more traffic and advice on your ebay questions by posting them in the clothing forum than you would if it were a separate forum (which many would ignore), and this sort of threads often provoke interesting discussion anyway.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The style and number (3 rather than 4) of buttons would probably indicate sport coat. Looks nice.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
The style and number (3 rather than 4) of buttons would probably indicate sport coat. Looks nice.
?

Do you mean sleeve buttons, and if so, what's the significance of 3 as opposed to 4?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
?

Do you mean sleeve buttons, and if so, what's the significance of 3 as opposed to 4?

yeas, he clearly meant sleeve buttons, especially because if you follow the link to the ebay auction, the pictures shows a 2 button jacket with 3 sleeve buttons.

as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the brass buttons give it away.

Anyway, in the case of newer garments, suit jackets overwhelmingly have 4 sleeve buttons while three-buttoned jackets are usually odd jackets. But yeah, no guarantees.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't it weird that that's a mainline blazer with Z Zegna buttons?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if he meant it has buttons from a Z Zegna suit - more likely they are buttons that have a Z on them.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
yeas, he clearly meant sleeve buttons, especially because if you follow the link to the ebay auction, the pictures shows a 2 button jacket with 3 sleeve buttons.

as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.

That's news to me. Didn't know that. Interestingly, 2 of my 3 suits have 3 sleeve buttons, and 2 of my most recent sports jacket purchases (a Kiton and a Brioni) each have 4.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Isn't it weird that that's a mainline blazer with Z Zegna buttons?

They're not Z Zegna buttons. That is the old Ermenegildo Zegna logo you can still see on some older items (some sweaters used to have the Z embroidered on the chest).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When would you guys date this jacket as being made, early/mid 90s?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, sometime 90s, but aside from the button spacing (which is no big deal for 99% of observers) it doesn't look too dated to my eye. Reasonably classic cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads