1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ebay Find Question and Subforum Suggestion

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.Perdition, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mr.Perdition

Mr.Perdition Well-Known Member

In the grand tradition of asking for advice before making a bid, what do you folks think of the following jacket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

My eye isn't quite trained to tell the difference between an orphaned suit jacket a standalone blazer or the vintage of either.

What would be a good pants/shirt combo. From my reading in the forum charcoal is more versatile than black.

I would also like to suggest a sub-forum for those like myself who are asking for Ebay pre-purchase advice.

Thanks!

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think it's a great deal for that price, if the measurements look right. It's not an orphaned suit coat.

WRT your suggestion, I think you will get more traffic and advice on your ebay questions by posting them in the clothing forum than you would if it were a separate forum (which many would ignore), and this sort of threads often provoke interesting discussion anyway.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

The style and number (3 rather than 4) of buttons would probably indicate sport coat. Looks nice.

4. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

The style and number (3 rather than 4) of buttons would probably indicate sport coat. Looks nice.
    ?

Do you mean sleeve buttons, and if so, what's the significance of 3 as opposed to 4?

5. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

?

Do you mean sleeve buttons, and if so, what's the significance of 3 as opposed to 4?

yeas, he clearly meant sleeve buttons, especially because if you follow the link to the ebay auction, the pictures shows a 2 button jacket with 3 sleeve buttons.

as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

as for the significance, nearly all suits come with 4 sleeve buttons on the jacket sleeves. but blazers and jackets can have 3 buttons.

I'm not sure I'd apply this rule of thumb to items on eBay. It seems a relatively recent development.

7. j

I think the brass buttons give it away.

Anyway, in the case of newer garments, suit jackets overwhelmingly have 4 sleeve buttons while three-buttoned jackets are usually odd jackets. But yeah, no guarantees.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Isn't it weird that that's a mainline blazer with Z Zegna buttons?

9. j

I don't know if he meant it has buttons from a Z Zegna suit - more likely they are buttons that have a Z on them.

10. mrwiz

mrwiz Well-Known Member

11. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

yeas, he clearly meant sleeve buttons, especially because if you follow the link to the ebay auction, the pictures shows a 2 button jacket with 3 sleeve buttons.

That's news to me. Didn't know that. Interestingly, 2 of my 3 suits have 3 sleeve buttons, and 2 of my most recent sports jacket purchases (a Kiton and a Brioni) each have 4.

12. drizzt3117

What do you guys think of this Armani blazer (i.e. how much should I bid)? Thanks.

That's way too expensive at its current price. It's Mani, which is a crappy diffusion line of Armani.

13. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

Isn't it weird that that's a mainline blazer with Z Zegna buttons?

They're not Z Zegna buttons. That is the old Ermenegildo Zegna logo you can still see on some older items (some sweaters used to have the Z embroidered on the chest).

14. drizzt3117

When would you guys date this jacket as being made, early/mid 90s?

15. j

Yeah, sometime 90s, but aside from the button spacing (which is no big deal for 99% of observers) it doesn't look too dated to my eye. Reasonably classic cut.