• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay fee question

Ed355

Reaction score
I listed an item for sale recently but no one entered a bid and ebay is now trying to charge me approximately $10 as the selling fees. Is there a way to avoid paying this? Thanks.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355
I listed an item for sale recently but no one entered a bid and ebay is now trying to charge me approximately $10 as the selling fees. Is there a way to avoid paying this? Thanks.

Isn't this what you agreed to when you listed the item? Some items you can relist, and if they sell the second time, you only have to pay one fee.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

assuming those were the listing fees, there's no reasonable way to avoid it.

did you have a reserve price on the item?

Ed355

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
assuming those were the listing fees, there's no reasonable way to avoid it.

did you have a reserve price on the item?

No, I did not. I thought you can avoid paying if the winner of the auction fails to pay you. If that's the case, I thought it would be reasonable to argue that if the item did not attract a bid, the owner should not have to pay. Either way, the owner did not manage to sell the item.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu is, of course, correct. $10 is a lot to list one item but we don't know the item and the add-ons you chose. Ebay gets you two or three ways: There is a fee to list, a 'final value fee' when it sells, and of course ebay subsidiary paypal gets a percentage if the buyer pays that way. If the item fails to sell, the second and third fees don't apply, but the first one always does.

Ed355

Reaction score
Originally Posted by discostu004
are you saying you listed something one time and they're charging you $10? that doesn't sound right, but there is no way to avoid paying the listing fees just b/c nobody bids

Yes, approximately $10 as I added some borders to the auction and that's extra. I guess I need to suck up the fees. Thanks guys.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, approximately $10 as I added some borders to the auction and that's extra. I guess I need to suck up the fees. Thanks guys.

it probably does depend on the item, but i usually skip the borders and extras.

i generally list 10-20 items, at either an agressive but fair fixed price or a high starting price, whenever ebay runs a 10 cent listing sale. no frills, except possibly the best offer option. one picture through ebay, occasionally extra pictures through imageshack.

keeps down ebay's take while ensuring i'm getting more than my minimum. of course, i don't have that much to sell.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it probably does depend on the item, but i usually skip the borders and extras.

i generally list 10-20 items, at either an agressive but fair fixed price or a high starting price, whenever ebay runs a 10 cent listing sale. no frills, except possibly the best offer option. one picture through ebay, occasionally extra pictures through imageshack.

keeps down ebay's take while ensuring i'm getting more than my minimum. of course, i don't have that much to sell.

How do you link to imageshack through ebay? I've posted images here using imageshack, but I didn't realize that ebay would allow it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
borders, highlights, bold, stand out color for your ad, reserve fees, gallery, and all such add ons can and will make your cost go to and above 10 dollars per listing.

before you hit OK to list the item, the summary of costs is given to you. you were charged 10 dollars prior to listing.

if the item sells, a final sale fee is added to your account. if the bidder fails to purchase or returns the item, you have the option to get a refund on the final sale fee.

however, no matter what, whether you have 20 bids or no bids, the listing fee is what you agreed to pay ebay.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
How do you link to imageshack through ebay? I've posted images here using imageshack, but I didn't realize that ebay would allow it.

I simply paste the thumbnail picture link into the text of the description. I've never had any problem with ebay about doing it, although I don't know if its acceptable or not.

boo

Reaction score
To avoid fees on a motorcycle I was selling through eBay, I put in the description that the auction was for a picture of the motorcycle, but that it happened to be on sale for $2K and to send me an e-mail if they were interested in buying.

The only problem is that despite putting in big, bold, multi-colored letters that the auction was just for a pic, there were people who would bid as if bidding on the motorcycle itself. I would then have to contact the people to clarify what my auction was about, and allow them to retract their bids so the auction wouldn't close with a high price (and resulting high fee).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you know when ebay is running a listing sale?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks NoVaguy, I'll try it with my next ebay sale.

I simply paste the thumbnail picture link into the text of the description. I've never had any problem with ebay about doing it, although I don't know if its acceptable or not.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
How do you know when ebay is running a listing sale?

It's usually noted on the home page. You just have to check ebay every day.

edit: you might also get a message in your ebay messages a few days in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads